Xiaomi takes atleast 14 days to provide users with the bootloader unlock code and permission. If you wish to flash Lineage OS on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and you cannot wait for 14 days, then you have the opportunity to flash it without unlocking the bootloader. A method to install latest Lineage OS on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with locked bootloader is available.
If you don’t already know about the Linage OS, then let us shed some light on it first. Lineage OS is the evolved form of all the all-time famous CyanogenMod. Lineage OS will continue the legacy of CM ROMs now. Linage OS 14.1 is the aftermarket distribution of the custom Android 7.1 Nougat. The ROM is great for smartphones which won’t be getting official Android 7.1 Nougat. Linage OS is now among the most popular and the most widely used custom ROMs. The OS is based on vanilla Android which makes it much more easy to use. Its bloatware free and gives a user full control of his Android smartphone.
Lineage OS is available for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3’s KENZO and KATE variants. Here’s a guide to flash/install Lineage OS on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with Locked Bootloader.
- This guide will work for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 KENZO and KATE only. Do not try this on any other device.
- Create a backup of your important contacts, call logs, SMS messages and media content.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- This is a custom process, follow it at your own risk.
- First of all, you need to download MIUI 8 Global Developer ROM 6.11.3 for your phone: Download for KENZO | Download for KATE
- Download Android 7.1.1 Nougat Linage OS 14.1 ROM
- Download ZCX TWRP Recovery.
- Download Mi Flash 6.8.30
- Download ARM 64 GApps for Android 7.1 Nougat
- Download latest firmware for your phone.
- Download Fastboot_edl-V2.zip file.
Install Lineage OS on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with Locked Bootloader
- Now extract the downloaded MIUI 8 Global Developer ROM. In the extracted files, you will find a recovery.img file. Replace this recovery.img file with ZCX’s TWRP recovery.img file.
- Now extract the Fastboot EDL file.
- Power off your Redmi Note 3. Press and hold Volume Down + Power Key now. Connect your phone to your PC now.
- From the extracted Fastboot EDL files, launch the Reboot.bat file. This will reboot your phone in the EDL mode.
- Now flash the MIUI 8 Global Developer ROM while your phone is in the EDL mode. Do not reboot your phone from the EDL mode. In the Mi Flash Tool check the Clean All option. Use this guide: How To Flash Fastboot ROM on Xiaomi Phones using Xiaomi Mi Flash
- After the ROM has been flashed, disconnect your phone from your PC. Press and hold Volume Up + Power key to boot up your phone. Release the keys as soon as Mi logo appears on the screen. Your phone will be in TWRP recovery now. You may find this guide useful: How To Flash Fastboot ROM on Xiaomi Phones using Xiaomi Mi Flash
- Tap Reboot in TWRP and then tap System. If a popup comes up asking you to Disable stock recovery replace now, swipe the screen to disable.
- Now boot to the system. Let MIUI take its time. The first boot will take a few minutes to boot up.
- Now turn off your phone and boot into TWRP recovery once again by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power key.
- Tap the Backup option and create a backup of all the partitions from your phone.
- Now tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage and Cache > Wipe all these partitions.
- Connect your phone to your PC now while your phone is in the TWRP recovery. Copy the latest Linage OS 14.1 and GApps file.
- Get back to main menu in TWRP recovery. Tap Install > Locate and select Linage OS 14.1.zip file and flash it.
- Right after flashing Lineage OS file, flash the GApps.zip file.
- Reboot your phone once done. The first boot can take up to 10 minutes. That’s all.
So that’s how we flashed the Linage OS ROM on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 while keeping the bootloader locked. If something goes wrong at your end, you can easily flash a new stock MIUI ROM using the Mi Flash Tool. If you have got any queries, drop them in the comments section below.