Sony has launched the mid-range Xperia XA2 in February this year with Android 8.0 Oreo. There is no official 8.1 update from Sony yet but you’ll be glad to hear that you can get the latest Android 8.1 update with Lineage OS 15.1 ROM. Apart from the OS upgrade, you’ll get a breath of fresh air with the plethora of OS customizations and clean user interface. In this article, we will show you how to install Lineage OS 15.1 ROM on Sony Xperia XA2.
The device is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 processor coupled with 3GB RAM but the Sony apps and other bloatware slow down the phone eventually. However, if you’d like to experience stock Android with no bloatware and plenty of OS customizations, Lineage OS is the perfect ROM. The Lineage OS ROM is a continuation to the widely popular CyanogenMod ROM. It comes with minute OS tweaking options along with a beautiful design. You can customize the ROM to your liking in many imaginative ways.
The Android 8.1 update comes in the form of unofficial Lineage OS 15.1 ROM developed by LuK1337
- Your device needs to have at least 60% charge to ensure it doesn’t run out of battery during the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. To do this, go to device Settings » Developer options » toggle the “USB Debugging” switch.
- Install ADB & Fastboot tools on your PC. You can follow our simple guide which lets you install ADB & Fastboot tools in 15 seconds.
- Make sure you have the latest TWRP on Sony Xperia XA2. You can download the latest TWRP from here. Once you’ve downloaded the TWRP image, you can install it using our detailed guide on how to install TWRP using Fastboot.
How to Install Lineage OS 15.1 ROM On Sony Xperia XA2
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS 15.1 ROM and Gapps to your device’s internal storage.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Once the backup is complete, format your device.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS ROM file in your internal storage. Swipe to confirm OS flash.
- Now flash the Lineage OS Gapps Zip same as the ROM file.
- Reboot your device once both the files are flashed.
It will take some time on the first boot, so don’t panic if it takes 5-10 minutes to boot up. Once the device boots up, you’ll be welcomed with the Lineage OS setup screen.