Samsung’s Galaxy Tab devices are the most widely used tablet devices. Samsung is rolling out the Galaxy Tab iterations in a group of siblings. The Galaxy Tab 3 comes in the form of 7.0 inches, 8.0 inches and 10.0 as well. And all these devices are further divided into different variants. The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 comes as Galaxy Tab 3 WiFi, Galaxy Tab 3 LTE and Galaxy Tab 3 3G. On the Tab 3 8.0, there’s an 8.0 inches screen with a resolution of 800 x 1280 pixels with 189 ppi. Samsung’s very own Exynos 4212 CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz is powering up this device, there’s a RAM of 1.5 GB. A battery of 4450 mAh is adding life to this device. We have a 5 MP shooter fixed at the back and a 1.3 MP shooter fixed on the front for video calling. Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is currently running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
There’s a lot of custom stuff available for the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, which may help you to unleash the true power of your device. A number of custom ROMs is available which may also help you to try out something new every second day on your device. To begin with tweaking the very first thing you need is root access and to pave a way for flashing different MODs, custom kernels or custom ROMs, you need a custom recovery on your device. We’ve been missing a guide on the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, for the users who’ve been waiting for us to post it, we’re going to do it in the proceeding guide.
*****Update: TWRP 3.1.x is now available for the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T310, SM-T311 and SM-T315. You can flash the recovery for flashing latest custom ROMs. It’s attached below right next to the old download links.*****
We will be installing latest TWRP 2.8.x.x on our beloved Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310 (3G), SM-T311(WiFi) and SM-T315(LTE) and then we will root these devices as well. If you’re looking to do both these things, you need to follow this guide to the letter in order to avoid any mishaps.
Here are some early preparations
1.This guide is intended for the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 users having the model number listed above only. In case you don’t have the device listed here, do not proceed. Using the files and method listed here will result in bricking it. You can check your device’s model number in Settings > General > About device.
2. Your phone’s battery must be charged at least over 60%. In case your phone goes dead during the flashing process, it might result in bricking it. Charge your device before you proceed.
3. Always use OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and your computer. Using third party data cables might cause connection issues.
4.While using Odin3, turn off Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall and any Antivirus software if you’re using.
5. It is always recommended to backup your important data before you flash anything on your device. You may backup using the following guides on our site.
6. Follow the guidelines carefully. In case of a mishap, we may not be held responsible.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Files you need to download and install
- Download & install Samsung USB drivers.
- Download & extract Odin3 v3.09
- Download recovery according to your device
How to Install TWRP on your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310/311/315
- Download the file for your variant carefully.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Tab 3 8.0 in download mode, to do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key, you should see a warning now, press Volume Up to continue.
- In case the download mode method doesn’t work for your device, try one of the methods from this guide.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue now, that means your phone is connected properly in download mode.
- Click on the “AP” tab in Odin 3.09 and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file.
- In case you’re using Odin 3.07, click on the PDA tab in Odin and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file and let it load.
- Make sure that all options in Odin are unticked except “F.Reset Time”.
- Hit start now and sit back, it will take a few seconds to flash the recovery, once finished, disconnect your device from your PC.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key to access the TWRP that you just installed.
- You can backup your current ROM and do a lot of other things using the options in TWRP Recovery.
- Make sure that you make Nandroid and EFS backup and save it on your PC as well. Find the option in TWRP Recovery.
- That’s All.
How to Root your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310/311/315 Now
- If you want to root your device now, you can download the SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded file on your phone’s sd card.
- Open TWRP and select Install > Select / Choose Zip > SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Congrats! You’re now rooted as well.
That’s All! We hope that you found this guide of much help. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this guide, don’t hesitate to stop by the comment box below and leave us your message. We will try our best to help you out.
Recovery Credits: gr8nole [We recommend donation to the developer for his hard work. Thank you all]