Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy S5 is already out and if you’ve got your hands on this device or going to do so, you may want to break the jails and cross it’s boundaries and the very thing that will play a vital role here is a custom recovery, either a CWM or a Twrp.
Galaxy S5’s development has been started and is moving forward day by day. The famous developer Philz3759 has developed his advanced touch recovery for some variants of the Galaxy S5 and Sprint’s S5 is one of the lucky devices. If you’ve been looking for a guide to install a recovery, you’re on the right spot at the moment. In the following post we are going to install CWM 6 Recovery with Philz Advanced CWM Touch Recovery on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900P. Before we head towards the installation instructions, it is important to remove any confusions for the newbies. To do so, we will first go through a brief introduction of the custom recovery, that is CWM in our case for now.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
Here are the pre-installation instructions:
- This guide is only for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900P. Before installing this, make sure that your device is listed below. Check your device’s model number in Settings > More > About Device.
- Download the file carefully for your device.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is charged over at least 60%. Highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the recovery installation process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and PC. Turn off your Anti Virus and Firewall to prevent any connection issues. Also enable USB debugging mode on your phone if you face connection issues.
- Follow the instructions being very careful.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Pre – Requisites:
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers – Get Here.
- Download and Extract Odin3 v3.09 – Get Here
- Enough confidence to flash a recovery :-)!
Download the CWM Recovery for Your Device:
How to Install Philz Advanced CWM Recovery on your Sprint Galaxy S5 :
- Download the file for your variant carefully.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your phone in download mode, to do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key, you should see a warning now, press Volume Up to continue.
- In case the download mode method doesn’t work for your device, try one of the methods from this guide.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue now, that means your phone is connected properly in download mode.
- Now click on the “AP” tab and select the Recovery.tar.md5 file that you downloaded above.
- If you’re using Odin v3.07, you will select PDA tab instead of the AP tab to select the recovery.tar.md5 file.
- Hit start now and sit back, it will take a few seconds to flash the recovery and your device will reboot.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key to access the Philz Advanced CWM Touch Recovery that you just installed.
- You can backup your current ROM and do a lot of other things using the options in Philz Advanced CWM Recovery.
- Make sure that you make an EFS backup and save it on your PC as well.
- That’s All.
How to Root [Optional] :
- If you want to root your device now, you can download the SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded file on your phone’s sd card.
- Open Philz Advanced CWM Recovery and select Install > SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Congrats! You’re now rooted as well.
That’s all. In case you got any queries or you face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to reach us through the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.