WiFi variant of the Galaxy Tab S, SM-T700 started receiving the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update a few days back.The new update brings a lot of changes to the device including a new UI, new notifications on lock screen, multi-user and guest modes. Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is is the biggest update in the history of Android yet, so many of the users will be pretty anxious to get this update running on their device. At the time of writing this post, the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for the Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 has hit only two regions. That means it’s going to take while to reach your region. If you can’t wait for the OTA or Samsung KIES to bring this update to you, you may want to do this using an alternative method. To save your time finding the method, we’ve written down this guide.
As you move forward, you will come across a comprehensive method that will help you to update your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware using Samsung’s flashtool Odin3. Let’s go through some early preparations and precautions and then begin with the procedure.
Early Preparations & Precautions
- This guide is only for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700. Do not try this on any other device. Make sure that you check your device’s model number in settings > system > about device.
- Make sure that your batter has 50% of its battery. This is recommended in order to avoid any power issues during the installation process.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. To do so, you need to enable developer options first by going to settings > system > about device > tap build number for 7 times. Once you’ve the developer options enabled under settings > system > developer options > enable USB debugging.
- Backup all of your important stuff. This includes contacts, call logs, text messages and your important media content. This is important since you need to wipe your phone to achieve a neat and clean installation.
- Make sure that you’ve backed up your EFS partition [Strongly recommended].
- If your device has a custom recovery installed previously, you may create a Nandroid backup. Otherwise, skip this step.
- Factory reset your phone by booting into recovery mode. To do so, turn off your phone completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. Once you’re in recovery mode, wipe factory data.
- While using Odin3, turn off Samsung Kies if you’ve installed it. Also turn off your Firewall or any Antivirus software if enabled.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your device and your PC.
- This is official firmware and it won’t void the warranty of your phone. It will not cause any damage to your phone either.
- Follow these instructions to the letter to make it happen successfully.
- Download & Install Samsung USB drivers. MAC users do not need to install drivers or Samsung Kies.
- Download & extract Odin3 v3.10.6. MAC users may use JOdin.
- Download & extract firmware for your device.
- Model: SM-T700
- Version: Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Build date: 9/04/2015
- Code: TPA
- PDA: T700XXU1BOD5
- CSC: T700UVS1BOD5
How To Update Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700 To Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Official Firmware
- Make sure that you’ve carefully prepared according to the instructions listed above. Also make sure that you’ve made the necessary downloads and installs as explained.
- Open Odin3 V3.10.6.exe on your PC. MAC users will use JOdin.
- Connect your phone to your PC or MAC in download mode now. To do so, turn off your phone completely first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once your phone turns on and shows you warning, press Volume Up to continue. You are in download mode now. Plug in the data-cable now. As soon as Odin3 detects your phone, the ID:COM bar in the top-right corner should turn blue or yellow depending upon your version of Odin.
- Load the downloaded and extracted firmware file, which should be in .tar format. To do so, click the “AP” tab and locate the extracted .tar firmware file. If you’re using an older version of Odin, you will use “PDA” tab to load the firmware file. Once you’ve selected the file, it will take a while for Odin to load it. Wait patiently at this point.
- If the Auto-reboot option is un-ticked, tick it. Leave all other options as it is. The picture below can explain you further.
- Once you’re done with it according to the steps explained above, you’re set to flash the firmware now. Simply click the “Start” button now.
- This will start flashing the firmware on your device. It will take a few minutes for Odin to complete installation. Once the installation is finished, Odin will show “Finished” status in the installation box, the ID:COM bar will turn green now. Your device will reboot automatically if you ticked the Auto-reboot option before the installation. Disconnect your device now.
- If your device doesn’t reboot automatically, you may reboot it manually now. To do so, disconnect it from your PC and keep the power key pressed for a while and your device will turn off. Now turn it on by pressing power key only.
- For the first boot it may take up to 10 minutes, so hold on tighter. Once your device boots up, set it up and enjoy the all new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on it. That’s all 🙂
If you’re stuck with anything or facing any issues, make sure that you reach us out through the comment box below. We’d love to help you out. Thank you 🙂