Samsung’s Galaxy S2 for At&t is known as the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket having the model number SGH I727. The device initially ran on Android Ginger Bread out of the box and received updates up to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and that was all. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket couldn’t become the lucky device to taste any further version of Android officially, this surely puts a lot of users in a bit disappointment but there’s no need to worry about it since there’s a number of great custom ROMs available around. That is exactly what we are going to do in the following guide.
We are going to install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on our beloved At&t Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 using Dirty Unicorns Custom ROM. Dirty Unicorns custom ROM happens to be one of the most famous Android custom ROMs that is available for so many devices. This ROM has been brought up for Galaxy S2 Skyrocket by XDA senior member wantowan2. Dirty Unicorn surely packs up plethora of features that will definitely make your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket fly high and give you a whole new experience. Let’s have a look on the features and then head towards the installation guide.
This is only for At&t Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery, whether a TWRP or CWM is required to flash this ROM. You may find Philz Advanced CWM recovery on our site, make sure that you flash this one using the instructions explained in the guide.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket With Dirty Unicorns Custom ROM:
- Make sure that you’ve installed a custom recovery. There’s TWRP linked above.
- Download du_skyrocket-OC-4.4.4_20140704-2032.zip file.
- Download pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip file.
- Copy both the .zip files to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into philz advanced CWM recovery mode on your phone now. To do so, turn if off completely first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. As soon as you see the screen turning on, leave the buttons and you should boot into the recovery mode.
- Once in recovery, perform and factory data reset and also wipe cache.
- Now select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the du_skyrocket-OC-4.4.4_20140704-2032.zip file > Yes” and flash it.
- Once the ROM flashing is complete, once again select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip file > Yes” and flash it this time.
- Once flashed the Gapps, wipe cache and dalvik cache from the philz advanced cwm recovery and reboot your device.
- As soon as your device boots up, you will see the Dirty Unicorns Android 4.4.4. KitKat ROM.
- First boot may take up to 10 minutes, hold on tight till it boots up completely.
- That’s all. Enjoy KitKat on your device now.
Here are some screenshots posted by the developer:
That’s all. Just in case you need any help regarding this post, make sure that you drop your query in the comment box below. We surely will get back to you immediately.