Good news for all the Galaxy S5 Mini users out there. The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware for your device is finally out. Samsung has fulfilled the promise of updating this device to the 2nd last latest version of Android. However, we do not hope that the device will be updated to any further version of Android. Android Marshmallow should be the last official update for the Galaxy S5 Mini. If you have been running your phone on Android Lollipop so far, it is the time to update it enjoy all new UI changes and system changes of Marshmallow. The new Marshmallow firmware will give your device a performance boost. You will also find the firmware even more stable and you will find out the battery of your phone lasting a little longer. As far as the UI is concerned, there are some minor touchups on the applications’ icon parts and there are some new icons introduced in the status bar. You will also find some new colours.
The official firmware is rolling out slowly in select regions. It is not available for all the variants of the Galaxy S5 Mini, but seeing the rollout, it won’t be wrong to say that the firmware will soon be expanded to all other variants as well. You can check the OTA updates by going in to settings > about device > software updates. If you do not happen to be lucky enough to find the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update, then you will have to go for a manual method of updating your S5 Mini. In that case, this guide is going to be fruitful. While you move ahead, you will come across a comprehensive method which will teach you on how to install official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S5 Mini. Have a look on the early preparations and then upgrade your Galaxy S5 Mini right away.
- Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
- Your device’s battery should not be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well.
- Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
- Backup everything!
- Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firwmrae. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
Required Downloads & Installations
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.10.6.
- Download the firmware according to your device: SM-G800H
- Extract the downloaded firmware file to get the .tar.md5 file.
How to install official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S5 Mini
- Make sure that you read the instructions listed above carefully and you’re all set to go ahead now.
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation. You may boot into the recovery mode and perform a factory data reset.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S5 Mini in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 or 3.10.6 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, The flashing process box will turn green upon successful flashing.
- Once the flashing process has been completed successfully, disconnect your device and reboot it manually.
- Once the device boots up, checkout the new firmware now.
- Your device will be running on official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware.
- Once updated to stock, do not try to downgrade, or else you will result in messing up EFS partition of your device.
- That’s all!
Got any queries? Make sure that you drop em’ in the comment box below. Good Luck!