Pre-Rooted firmwares are much useful for Android power users who do not like to loose root access specially when upgrading to a new firmware. Having a pre-rooted firmware has several benefits. If your device has a locked bootloader, and you’ve a recovery installed on it and a new update arrives which doesn’t support root access or flashing the recoveries without unlocking the bootloader, you can have a pre-rooted file of the new firmware and flash it in the recovery that you have in the previous firmware on locked bootloader. This mechanism is pretty common among Sony Xperia users. There are tools and glitches that allow Xperia users to root their devices running on a specific firmware without unlocking the bootloader, but the tools do not work with the newer firmwares as Sony patches the glitches. Earlier there were one-click root tools and all time famous Towel Root application which allowed rooting some famous Xperia devices running on the firmwares available at that time, but these tools failed to work when Sony rolled out Android Lollipop. At the moment, there’s no direct method available to root Android Lollipop on Sony Xperia Z Line up, but you sure can root your device on an older firmware and flash the pre-rooted zip file of Android 5.0.2 or 5.1.1 Lollipop in the recovery. You may unlock your device’s bootloader on an older firmware or you may keep it lock if the older firmware’s root method doesn’t require it.
That was was all about the pre-rooted firmware. But how to get one? There are people creating and posting pre-rooted firmwares over different forums, but just in case you can’t find one for your device, you may want to create one for yourself. XDA senior member zxz0O0 has made it a lot easier for Android enthusiasts. Zxz0O0 came up with his tool named as PRF Creator which creates a pre-rooted firmware within a few minutes. All you need is the FTF file of your desired firmware, SuperSu.zip file and your desired recovery’s .zip file. You can simply push these files into the PRF Creator and then sit back and wait for the tool to cook up your desired pre-rooted firmware.
We’ve given this tool a try and found it working perfectly fine. In the following post we are going to show you how you can use it as well and create a pre-rooted firmware for your Sony Xperia device.
- Firmware’s FTF file, here’s
- SuperSu Beta (Recommended as it is always the most latest version)
- Recovery: Nut’s Dual Recovery.zip file (Recommended) but you can also use a recovery of your choice. You may find one on XDA developers.
How To Create Sony Xperia Pre-Rooted Firmware With PRF Creator
- Download PRF Creator’s latest version.
- Create a new folder on your desktop named as “PRF Creator”.
- Unzip the downloaded PRF Creator .zip file in the folder you just created on your desktop.
- Now open the folder where you unzipped the PRF Creator, and open “PRFCreator.exe” file which has a square root icon.
- The tool will now open up. Click on the small button next to the “FTF File” bar and select the FTF file.
- Now click on the button next to “SuperSu Zip” and select the SuperSu.zip file.
- Now click on the button next to “Recovery Zip” and select the downloaded Recovery.zip file.
- Tick all the five options next to the file selection area. These options include “Kernel, FOTAKernal, Modem, LTALabel, Sign zip”.
- Now click the “Create” button and sit back tight.
- Once the firmware is ready, you will get the Firmware’s zip file in the PRF Creator folder on your desktop.
- That’s all.
Now you can flash this pre-rooted firmware.zip file on your phone and update it without any hiccups.