Samsung released its low-end Galaxy Tab A series a couple of years ago. The low-end tab series has been doing quite well. In the A series, the new tabs released in the year 2016 come in two different variants. As usual, these variants are WiFi only and LTE ones. Both the tabs have same specifications, the only difference is between their connectivity modules.
Galaxy Tab A T285 is the LTE variant and the Galaxy Tab A T280 is the WiFi only device.. It’s a 7.0 inch tab with a 720p display on the front. Galaxy Tab A 2016 is equipped with MSM8916 processor with 1.5 GB RAM and 8 GB internal storage. A 5 MP shooter is fixed at its back and a 2 MP secondary shooter is there. Galaxy Tab A T280 ran on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop out of the box and that was it. This device hasn’t been updated in a while and probably there won’t be any updates in the future either.
These devices are lucky enough to have recieved a number of tweaks and modifications. Customising and modifying your device starts with a custom recovery and ultimately leads it to the root access. TWRP recovery is already out for the 2016 Tab A. You can flash it on your T280 or T285 variant and you can also root the tab afterwards. By installing TWRP, you will have the power of backing up your device i.e. backing up every single parition of the device. You will also be able to flash custom ROMs on the tab and wipe its cache, dalvik cache, system and data partition. Root access has its own different perks like installing applications like root access, lucky patcher and many others to enhance the functionality of your tab.
Since these process are cusstom, these are not recommended by Samsung. Doing this will definitely void the warranty of your device. If you are about to install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy Tab A 2016, you will have to do it at your own risk. This method works fine for SM-T280 and SM-T285 variant of the Galaxy Tab A 2016.
Install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy Tab A 2016
TWRP recovery and root files will work for the Galaxy Tab A6 2016 T280 and T285. Do not try this method on any other device as you will result in bricking it because of invalid files.
Charge your Tab up to 50% to avoid power issues during flashing process.
Enable USB deubgging from the developer options in your Tab.
Enable OEM Unlocking on your Tab from the developer options as well.
Backup all your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content.
Use your Tab’s original data cable to connect it to your PC.
If you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC, turn it off while using Odin.
Disable Firewall/Antivirus in order to download the files properly.
Follow the rest of the method being very careful.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers
- Download and extract Odin 3.10.7 on your computer’s desktop
- Download TWRP recovery according to your device:
- Download SuperSU.zip and copy it to your Tab’s internal storage.
- Download supersu_2.78_SR1_systemless_boot_t280. Extract the .img file from it and copy it to your Tab’s internal storage.
How to flash the recovery on Galaxy Tab A 2016 and root it now
- Open Odin.exe from the extracted Odin files you downloaded on your computer’s desktop.
- In Odin, click the “AP” tab in Odin and select the recovery file for your device that you just downloaded above.
- The only options checked in Odin should be F.Reset Time. No other options should be ticked.
- Now put your Tab in download mode. Turn it off first. Now press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons. As soon as it boots up, leave the keys. Once it shows warning, press Volume Up to continue.
- Connect your Tab to your PC while Odin is open.
- Once your the ID:COM box turns blue in Odin after the successful connection, click the Start button.
- It will flash recovery in your Tab. Disconnect your tab now and we will boot it into TWRP recovery without rebooting it now.
- Turn off your Tab and boot it into recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power Key to boot into TWRP.
- Now in TWRP, tap Install > Locate SuperSU.zip file that you copied > flash the file.
- Similarly, once again tap the Install button and flash the boot.img image you extracted from the downloads above.
- Reboot your Tab after flasing SuperSU and boot image on T280.
- Now you are rooted and have the TWRP installed on your device.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Magisk Systemless Interface on Android - April 22, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S8 Not registered on network - April 22, 2017
- How to fix LG G4 that keeps restarting itself - April 22, 2017