Every year we get to see new devices, new gadgets and not to mention, new OS too. This year we witnessed release of new-gen iOS 8.1 for Apple devices and Android 5.0 Lollipop for Android devices. However, what we didn’t see was iOS 8 being installed on the low-end devices, while Android 5.0 Lollipop is being installed on some of the devices that aren’t even available now a days. It doesn’t matter whether you get the update via a Custom ROM because in many cases, Custom ROMs are far far better than any of the Official ROMs available. Since the AOSP source of Android 5.0 Lollipop is out, every device can get the Android 5.0 Lollipop Custom ROM and HTC Evo 3D is one of those lucky devices.
HTC Evo 3D was released in 2011, a pretty old device, however, the specs aren’t that bad. The Dual-Core 1.2 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, this device can easily run the Android 5.0 Lollipop. If we assume that Lollipop will be better than Kit-Kat, it should require less RAM as compared to Kit-Kat. This is a very early build. I would never consider it as a daily driver. There are a lot of bugs in it, however, further updates will stabilize the ROM. For now, you can only try this ROM if you want to check how Lollipop works on your device. Make a Back-up of your current ROM, so if you ever want to go back, you can do that easily. However, if you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your HTC Evo 3D by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from HTC but a Custom ROM, you need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and also your device must be rooted. Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for HTC Evo 3D!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Root Your device & Install Custom Recovery!
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is HTC in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
AOSP Lollipop: Link
Google Apps: Link
How To Install AOSP Lollipop:
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Open Recovery mode. How?
- Connect your device with PC
- Open Command Prompt in Fastboot folder.
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Choose Recovery from Bootloader
Into the Recovery:
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Finally Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
The first boot might take up-to half an hour, so better play a game or get yourself a cup of coffee or Tea۔