Returning to the Stock version of the Firmware is better than everything else, especially if you are looking to sale your device or you just want to revert everything back to stock and looking to refresh your device for once, giving it some rest while you look for more customizations. However, we all know that flashing the Stock ROM or the factory images on your customized device will erase everything that you have installed, which also includes the root access and the custom recovery. So, the only way to get it back is by re-flashing all the stuff that you have lost, which is why we are here and we will show you exactly how you can do it.
For those who have updated their device to the Android 6.0.1 Factory Image, namely only 3 devices have received it yet and if you have followed our guide to Flash the Android 6.0.1 Factory Images on them, then you must have been waiting to Root the device of yours and also to install the Custom recovery on it.In the on-going guide we are going to show you How to Root Nexus 6, Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 on Android 6.0.1 Factory Images. Let’s put a full stop to our discussion here and get the task done right away.
Here are some pre-requisites in order to make this installation safe and secure
- This guide is only for Google Nexus 5, 7, 9. Do not try this tutorial on any other device. It may result in bricking it.
- Your phone’s battery should be charged at least over 50%. This is recommended in order to avoid power issues during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. You have to enable developer options first. You can do so by going in to settings > tap build number for 7 times. Now you will have developer options in settings. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging.
- Backup all your important contacts, text messages and call logs. Also copy your media content to your PC. Backup is recommended as your device will be wiped during the flashing process.
- Download and install latest Google USB drivers. Installation of these drivers will be a little different. Download the file from the attached link and unzip it. Now connect your phone to your PC. Right click “Computer or This PC > Click on Manage > Device Manager > Find your device i.e. Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 > Right click Update driver > Browse My Computer For Driver Software > Locate and select the Google USB folder that you got after unzipping > select install now”.
- Once the installation has been completed, your device will be shown as Android Composite ADB Interface.
- Download and install Minimal Android ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.
Download The Custom Recovery image file according to your phone.
- Nexus 5 GSM/LTE: Link
- Google Nexus 7 (2013): Link
- Google Nexus 9: Link
- Super Su 2.66: Link
How To Flash Custom Recovery:
- Download the Recovery Image
- Rename it to recovery and paste it in the Fastboot folder, created in adb and fastboot guide
- Turn Off your Device
- Now go to Bootloader/Fastboot mode, Press and hold Power + Volume Down Buttons till you see some text on-screen
- Now Open Command prompt in Fastboot Folder. How? Hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the Fastboot folder.
- Connect your Device with PC.
- Now Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to flash the TWRP Recovery on your device
- Type fastboot reboot, to reboot your device
- After a proper reboot, your device will be running TWRP Recovery
How To Root Your Device:
- Reboot your device to Recovery Mode.
- Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Dalvik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the Super SU 2.66.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
After a Successful reboot, Look for Super SU app in your drawer or use any Root checker app to confirm root access.