Sony Xperia Z3 Dual is one of the variants of the Xperia Z3, which is the flagship device of Sony Mobile. As the name implies, this phone is designed to support Dual SIM standby. The model number for Xperia Z3 Dual is D6633. Like other variants of Xperia Z3, it has also been updated to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop official firmware by Sony. The build number for latest Xperia Z3 Dual is 23.1.1.E.0.1. It is currently the latest available firmware for D6633 based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. The D6633 23.1.1.E.0.1 update is available via OTA updates. However, there is generally no ETA for when your region will receive the update. Moreover, those who have rooted their devices or unlocked bootloaders (basically the phone is not stock) will not receive the OTA lollipop update.
Those who have not received the Official Android 5.0.2 23.1.1.E.0.1 firmware update for Xperia Z3 Dual D6633, can use this guide to install 23.1.1.E.0.1 ftf on D6633 manually using flashtool. This is a simple guide which explains the method to install official Sony firmware on Xperia Z3 Dual. Moreover, flashing will wipe root access and take the phone back to stock state. The only thing that will remain unchanged, is the bootloader. If the bootloader is unlocked, then the phone will stay unlocked even after flashing. The 23.1.1.E.0.1 firmware can be flashed on both rooted and non-rooted Xperia Z3 Dual D6633. The steps involved in the flashing are described below. Make sure that you follow all the steps given below to install the latest firmware on your device.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z3 Dual D6633
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z3 Dual drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
Steps to Install 23.1.1.E.0.1 FTF on Xperia Z3 Dual D6633
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.1.E.0.1 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Z3 Dual Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia Z3 Dual. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Hayder Ameen (see all)
- Root Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Firmware - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia Z C6602,C6603 10.6.A.0.454 5.0.2 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015