Xperia Z2 D6503 is receiving a new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update. Sony is focusing on improving the Lollipop firmware for its mainstream devices, keeping the missing features and bugs in view, Sony has started rolling out this new update. The update carries the build number 23.1.A.1.28. The only change we can spot in this update is the addition of missing “Clear All” button and its right placement in the recent apps panel. The update has hit Nordic region and will be hitting other regions pretty soon. If you are anxious to update your device to this latest build right away, you may want to use some manual method. In the succeeding guide we will flash the new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with the build number 23.1.A.1.28 on our beloved Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 using Sony Flashtool.
The firmware is official and flashing it involves no risks at all. To make sure that no mishap occurs, please follow this guide to the letter. Let’s go through some precautions and pre-requisites and then flash this latest firmware.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z2 D6503 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
Steps to Install 23.1.A.1.28 FTF on Xperia Z2 D6503
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.1.28 FTF file.
- D6503 23.1.A.1.28 FTF Download [Non Branded / Generic FTF]
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z2 Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia Z2. Enjoy!
Something went wrong? Don’t worry, reach us out through the comment box below and we will help you at our best. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Galaxy S5 via CyanogenMod 14 - October 27, 2016
- Download Facebook Lifestage for PC - October 27, 2016
- Google Now/Google Assistant Voice Commands List - October 27, 2016