The long awaited Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for the Xperia Z2 is finally here. Just yesterday, Sony started rolling out this update packing up enormous enhancements. Sony updated the Xperia Z2’s predecessors to Android 4.4.4 KitKat first, but the flagship Xperia Z2 was missing it since long and its turn has finally come now. Xperia Z2’s update, besides performance, stability and battery life enhancements, includes some new camera applications namely Face in, AR Fun, Multi-camera and more. Along with that, there’s a new Ultra Stamina Mode, that can keep your device alive up to one week by simplifying it. There’s bluetooth unlock included in this update, that allows the users to unlock their device using Sony Smartwear, no password is required when you’ve turned on bluetooth unlock. Smart screen rotation and quick settings have made their way in this update as well.
The new firmware is based on the build number 23.0.1.A.0.167. As usual, the update is on a slow roll and will reach out the users depending on the region. But, if you’re one of the Android enthusiasts who can’t wait for the latest and greatest version of Android to reach their device, you may want to have a look on a method that can help you to update your Xperia Z2 to this latest firmware right away, and that’s going be our goal for now. As you move forward, you will come across a comprehensive guide that will help you to install Generic Android 4.4.4 KitKat with the build number 23.0.1.A.0.167 on your Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 and D6502. The firmware installation will be done using Sony Flashtool, this firmware is official and has no risks involved. All you need is, you need to follow the guidelines being very careful. Let’s go through the early preparations now and then head towards the installation guide.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 and D6502
This guide is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool, here’s the full guide.After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z2 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
The firmwares we linked below are from Germany and India. Although the regions do not matter, you can update your device without any hiccups here and there, all you need is, you need to have the compatible device model number only. But just in case you want to have your desired FTF, you may create one using our guide How To Download Sony Xperia Official Firmware And Create FTF File.
How To Update Xperia Z2 D6503,D6502 To Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 Firmware
- Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z2, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 4.4.4 kitkat on your Xperia Z2. Enjoy
Got any queries or stuck with anything? Well, make sure that you utilize the comment box below and reach us. We will immediately get back to you. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Magisk Systemless Interface on Android - April 22, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S8 Not registered on network - April 22, 2017
- How to fix LG G4 that keeps restarting itself - April 22, 2017