Sony just started updating its mainstream devices to the the 8 days old version of Android, the Android 4.4.4 KitKat. The new update packs up a number of performance enhancements, bug fixes. New and improved camera application experience, Google apps have been improved and Sony’s apps have received an update as well to work even better. The update is currently being rolled out to users in specific countries. As off now, this update has been confirmed for Sony Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact. Just in case you own Xperia Z1 Compact and you’re looking for a way to update your device manually as the official update may take quite a long time to reach you through OTA or through Sony PC Companion, you’ve spotted the right place.
As you scroll down this post, you will find a comprehensive guide that will help you to update your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 to latest and greatest version of Android, Android 4.4.4 KitKat based on the build number 14.4.A.0.108 using Sony Flashtool. You must follow the guide being careful in order to get it done successfully.
- As mentioned, this firmware is only for Xperia Z1 Compact D5503. Do not try this on any other phone, that may result in bricking your device. Check your device’s model number in Settings > About device.
- You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
- After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.
- Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z1 Compact drivers from the list. [Important]
- Your phone must be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
- Make sure that you back up all your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended and important in case something goes wrong during the flashing process or in case you select the data wipe option before flashing. You can easily restore whenever you need.
- To flash this firmware, you do not need to root your device, you do not need to unlock the bootloader. All you need is, your device must be the one mentioned and must be running on Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- Download the firmware file properly.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC. Using any other data cable might cause connection problems.
- This firmware can be flashed on Xperia Z1 Compact in any region/any country.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter in order to prevent any mishap.
Here’s how you can update your Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 to official 14.4.A.0.108 Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware:
- Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 14.4.A.0.108 FTF file. [Generic]
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z1 Compact, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 4.4.4 kitkat on your Xperia Z1 Compact D5503. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus Stock Wallpapers - March 29, 2017
- List of Samsung Galaxy S8 & Galaxy S8 Plus Model Numbers - March 29, 2017
- T-Mobile goes underwater to welcome the Galaxy S8 with Sharks - March 29, 2017