Sony Xperia Sola is one of the lucky legacy devices to receive the unofficial Android 5.0 Lollipop update. The update is based on unofficial Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 custom ROM. It is not an official release from Sony. It is a custom firmware built from the source code so that those devices which are no longer supported by their manufacturers can be updated to latest Android versions. This is closest to stock Android experience based on Lollipop and Material design. This phone is powered by a Dual Core processor so this phone should have no problem in running Android Lollipop firmware. Rest of the installation instructions are given below. Make sure that you follow each and every step to make the installation bug free.
- Unlock Bootloader of Xperia Sola. If you do not know how to do it or you have no idea about what it is, then follow this guide to unlock Bootloader of your phone. How to Unlock Bootloader of Xperia Smartphones
- Install USB Drivers for Xperia Sola using the drivers installer from the Flashtool installation folder. Download Flashtool from here. After installing USB Drivers, connect phone to PC using the USB cable so that USB drivers are installed properly and connection is established properly.
- Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers. | Mac ADB And Fastboot Drivers. To avoid the lengthy installation, use the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools for your PC to make the installation quick. ADB Drivers work best on Windows 7. ADB and Fastboot Drivers might not work on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
- Charge your phone up to 50%. It is very important because phone should not turn off during flashing process. If the phone turns off during the flashing process, it can damage the device.
- Make a backup of all Contacts and Messages on phone. – Guide
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Make a Nandroid Backup if any custom Recovery is installed already. If not, you will find a custom recovery later in this guide. – Guide
- Copy all the media files and anything else stored in the internal memory to a PC before flashing to save this data.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM Xperia Sola MT27i Pepper (Download Latest Build)
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Gapps
Steps to Install CM 12 on Xperia Sola MT27i
- Make sure that bootloader is unlocked and phone is charged to 50% at least.
- Extract boot.img from ROM zip.
- Copy ROM zip and Gapps zip to phone’s internal memory.
- Now turn off phone wait for 5 seconds.
- Hold volume up button and connect phone to PC.
- The LED should remain blue, which means that phone is in fastboot mode.
- Now copy boot.img to Fastboot folder or Minimal ADB and Fastboot installation folder.
- Open that folder, hold shift button on keyboard and right-click on mouse.
- Click on Open Command Window Here.
- Type fastboot devices and press Enter.
- It should only one fastboot connected device in return. If it showing more that one, then disconnect any other connected device or close any Android Emulator. Also make sure that PC Companion is completely disabled if installed.
- Now type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter.
- Type fastboot reboot and press Enter.
- While phone is booting up, press Volume up/down/power to enter recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, select Install and navigate to the folder where ROM zip is placed.
- Install the ROM zip.
- Install Gapps zip the same way and reboot the phone.
- Performing factory reset and wiping Dalvik cache after installing ROM is highly recommended!
- The phone will boot up to home screen in 5 minutes.
- To install Google Applications, copy downloaded Gapps zip file to phone and flash it the same way as ROM. Factory reset is not required this time.
- That’s all!
Got any question? Ask me in the comments below 🙂
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017