Sony updated the Xperia M5 Dual to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop today. The new firmware carries the build number 30.1.B.1.33 and is live for Xperia M5 Dual E5633, E5663 and E5643. Xperia M5 Dual ran on Android 5.0 out of the box. This update happens to be a major Android update for this device and comes with notable improvements, features. The update fixes quite many annoying bugs, brings new application optimisations, enhances charging speed of the device and also fixes the ISO mode lag. There are some new icons introduced in the settings applications. The firmware stability has been improved over all. At the time of writing this post, Sony is rolling out this update through OTA and through Sony PC Companion.
If you own any of the variants listed above and you haven’t already got this update, you might have to wait a little bit more. Since these are regional updates, it can take sometime for Sony to roll it your way. If you do not want to wait, you can update your device manually right away. We have this comprehensive guide written here which will help you to achieve the mentioned goal.
You will learn the method to update your Xperia M5 Dual D5633, D5663 and D5643 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 30.1.B.1.33 official firmware in the succeeding guide. We will be using Sony Flashtool to update our beloved Xperia M5 Dual. Let’s go through some early preparations and then flash this firmware.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia M5 Dual D5633, D5663 and D5643
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here. After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia M5 Dual drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How to Update Xperia M5 Dual to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 30.1.B.1.33 Official Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 18.6.A.0.175 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia M5 Dual, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Xperia M5 Dual. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to get WhatsApp Video Call feature right now - October 26, 2016
- Top 5 Android Lockscreen Apps 2016-2017 - October 26, 2016
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016