Just to have a recap let’s learn something about Android 5.0. Android 5.0 Lollipop is Google’s latest iteration in it’s Android OS. The new OS contains a lot of improvements, bug fixes and features as compared to the previous versions of Android. Notable changes are in the graphics department. The Android 5.0 Lollipop has a completely revamped UI, named as Material Design, which is way flat, smooth, neat. Other then that, Android 5.0 comes with some great battery life enhancements, a new way for the notifications to appear on the lockscreens has been introduced as well. There are so many other new features that you may come across once you install this firmware.
The ROM has been compiled up by XDA recognized developer varun.chitre15. The very first build of CM 12 for Xperia L seems to be working fine, there haven’t been any bugs reported so far in the official thread, but this work is still under progress, we suspect that there might be some bugs tinkering around. While we are going to install this ROM in a while, we must tell you that this ROM isn’t intended for everyday use. If you aren’t well aware of custom ROMs, you may keep yourself away from this at the moment. We only recommend Android power users to go ahead and flash this ROM. Let’s head towards our guide for updating Sony Xperia L to Android 5.0 Lollipop using CyanogenMod [CM] 12 custom ROM.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia L!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Unlock Bootloader.
Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked in order to flash this custom ROM. You can unlock it by using our Sony bootloader unlock guide.
4.Install Custom Recovery
A custom recovery is required for installing this ROM. You may install Philz advanced touch using this thread.
5. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
Backup SMS Messages
Backup Call Logs
Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Update Xperia L To Android 5.0 Lollipop Using CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM
- Download latest CM 12 build.zip file for Xperia L
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Copy both the .zip files to the internal storage of your phone.
- Turn off your phone now and boot into Philz advanced touch recovery. To do so, turn on your phone and then quickly press the Volume Up Key.
- Now that you’re in recovery mode, wipe your phone completely (factory reset).
- Now tap “install zip > choose zip from sd card > select CM 12 build.zip file > yes”.
- Once you’ve flashed the CM 12 file, now flash the Gapps file similarly.
- Now wipe cache and dalvik cache from the recovery mode.
- Reboot your Xperia L now.
- The first boot may take up to 10 minutes, hold on tighter unless you see the CM logo.
- That’s all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017