Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 was launched officially in February, 2016. Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 was running on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop out of the box. That is the only firmware that this device had. Till date, Xiaomi hasn’t updated the Note 3 to any further version of Android. Redmi Note 3 users have been relying on custom ROMs to give a new life to their phone every time. Google is already done with the release of Android 7.0 Nougat, and now the Redmi Note 3 users definitely have their eyes on the Android 7.0 for their device instead of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
The good news for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 users has already landed in. An unofficial build of CyanogenMod 14 custom ROM based on Android 7.0 Nougat has made its way to our beloved device. What’s cool about this ROM is that you will find most of the mainstream features working. CM 14 Android 7.0 Nougat for Redmi Note 3 boots up flawlessly. The ROM allows you to make calls, send sms messages and connect to mobile data which means RIL is working fine as well. The fingerprint on your device will also work in this ROM. Furthermore, WiFi, Bluetooth, Audo and Video Playback are also working. The camera is capable of capturing images, it may not shoot videos right now. Sensors, Flash and GPS are also working great. Since these are the features that are used in everyday routine, the features which are not working shouldn’t really bother you if you happen to be an Android geek.
To help Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 users with the installation of Android 7.0 Nougat CM 14, we have this comprehensive guide up here. You can now proceed towards the method to download and update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to Android 7.0 Nougat CM 14.
Update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to Android 7.0 Nougat CM 14
The ROM flashing process requires you to factory reset your device, so, make sure that you backup all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content. Flashing a custom ROM is not recommended by device manufacturers and the process is highly custom. In case a mishap occurs, TechBeasts, the ROM developer or the device manufacturer may not be held responsible. Make sure that you are doing everything at your own risk.
- Unlock the bootloader of your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery.img and flash it using this guide: How to install TWRP 3.0.x Recovery on your Android device
- Download CM14-firmware-20160913.zip file and copy it to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Download Google GApps.zip for Android 7.0 Nougat file and copy it to your phone as well.
- Boot into TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.
- Perform a factory data reset using the Wipe option in TWRP.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Install > locate the ROM.zip file > flash it.
- After flashing the ROM, flash GApps.zip file similarly.
- Once done, reboot your device into system now.
- As your phone boots up, you should see Android 7.0 Nougat CM 14 ROM on the boot menu.
- That’s all. Happy flashing!