Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is in the que to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update, but there isn’t any official release date available for the next version of Android on this device. It is always hard for the Android enthusiasts to wait for the updates, if you’re on of those and you own a Sprint Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520, you won’t be able to do so as well. While Samsung is busy cooking up the update, you can also update your device to Android 4.4.2 KitKat using a custom ROM.
Wondering how is that possible? well, the famous CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM based on unofficial Android 4.4.2 KitKat is available for this device now. In the following post, we are going to install Andorid 4.4.2 KitKat CM 11 custom ROM on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520. All you need is, follow the guide carefully and before you head towards the installation instructions, make sure that you’re familiar with the custom ROMs and you have a good idea of what you’re going to do with your device. As custom ROMs are not the official builds, there is a high chance of bugs in these and these may not be kept for every day use. Let’s move forward now.
- This ROM is only for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install CWM.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data. Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
|Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.|
How to Install CyanogenMod 11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520:
- Download CyanogenMod 11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM .zip file.
- Download Google Gapps for Android 4.4.2 KitKat.zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in CWM recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm-11-20140319-UNOFFICIAL-serranoltespr.zip
file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone.
- Once again in CWM select “Install > Choose zip from SD card > Google Gapps.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the CyanogenMod 11 ROM running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
In case your device is stuck at the boot screen, try wiping cache and dalvik cache from the recovery and then restart your device. In case of any mishap, you may restore the Nandroid or simply flash a stock firmware to bring your device back in the previous working stat. Here’s the guide on How to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung Android Smartphones
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017
- Download Yu Gi Oh Duel Links for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017