The third device in Xperia Z trio, the Xperia ZR had the last official update as Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. If you want to update your Xperia ZR further, you will have to go after a custom ROM. The most widely used custom ROM, CyanogenMod is available for thousands of Android smartphones out there. The latest version of CM has made its way to the Xperia ZR as well now. You can now update your Xperia ZR to Android 7.1 Nougat using the CyanogenMod 14.1 Custom ROM. CM 14.1 has already entered beta stage for the Xperia ZR. You can use it as a daily driver. There might a be few minor bugs in the ROM but those shouldn’t be a big deal keeping in view that you are getting the latest version of Android on your years old Xperia ZR.
Following guide is supposed to help you to update Sony Xperia ZR to CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat Custom ROM. All you have to do is to go through the steps carefully and get it done in a few minutes.
- This guide is intended for Xperia ZR only. Do not try this on any other device.
- Charge your Xperia ZR up to 50% to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Flash a custom recovery on your Xperia ZR.
- Backup everything including your contacts, call logs, sms messages and bookmarks. Also create a Nandroid backup.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid a mishap.
Disclaimer:The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible.
Update Sony Xperia ZR to CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat Custom ROM
- Download Android 7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 ROM.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip [ARM- 7.1 – pico package] file for Android 7.1 Nougat.
- Copy both the .zip files to your Xperia ZR’s internal or external SD card.
- Boot your Xperia ZR into custom recovery. If you’ve installed dual recovery using the guide linked above, you should use TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery, perform a factory reset under wipe option.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP recovery and select “Install”.
- Under “Install”, scroll all the way down and choose ROM.zip file. Flash this file.
- Once done, get back to the TWRP recovery menu again and this time flash Gapps.zip file using the instructions as stated in the above step.
- Once you’ve flashed both files, wipe cache and dalvik cache under wipe option.
- Reboot your device into system now.
- That’s all. Your device should boot up in CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat now.
In case something goes wrong, you may considering restoring the Nandroid backup. Another way to fix your device from the bricked state is to flash a stock ROM. Here’s our comprehensive guide on how to flash a stock firmware on your Sony Xperia.
If you’ve got any queries, feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire for Windows PC and Mac - December 8, 2016
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire APK - December 8, 2016
- Download Trusted Contacts APK - December 7, 2016