Sony took a very long time to update its flagship device Xperia Z3 and its siblings to update to Android Lollipop. While Sony was delaying this update, it disappointed a lot of users as it was not the Sony style this time. Sony has always remained pretty much concerned with the software updates. Sony finally broke the silence and started rolling out the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for its flagship Xperia Z3 in March, 2016. It looks like Sony has taken a notice of user’s feedback and didn’t want to make them wait longer for the next update. The Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update has started rolling out for our beloved Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z3 Compact tablet now. It took a gap of only 4 months for Sony to cook this update which makes it look like Sony is going to be good to its users once again.
The update carriers some minor changes. These changes include a new message sending animation in the messaging application, a new dialer, new icons in settings application, new launcher settings, numerical keys on keyboard, some icons (WiFi and Bluetooth) in the status bar, sound quality has improved and camera captures the images faster now. This update carries the build number 23.4.A.0.546 and as mentioned it carries the Android version 5.1.1 Lollipop. As of now, this update is on a slow roll out and will take some time to reach out all the regions. If you’re an Android enthusiasts, you may not be able to wait for the OTA or Sony Companion update to hit your device and you may want to find an alternative way to update it right away.
As usual, we are here with the method to update your device to the latest and greatest version of Android using Sony’s flashtool. As we move forward, we will flash the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 23.4.A.0.546 FTF on our beloved Sony Xperia Z3 D6603, D6643 & D6653. Let’s go through some quick early preparations and then flash this firmware.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z3 D6603, D6643, D6653
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here. After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z3 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia Z3 D6603, D6653, D6643 To 23.4.A.0.546 Android 5.1.1 Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 23.4.A.0.546 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z3, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Xperia Z3. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016