Sony Xperia Z2 has started receiving the long-awaited Android Marshmallow update. Sony remained pretty good to its users regarding the software updates in the past. This time it took way long for Sony to push the Marshmallow update for the Xperia Z2. As expected, the Xperia Z2’s Marshmallow brings a number of notable changes. If you’ve remained a part of the Marshmallow beta program, you probably know what’s new in this update. However if you do not have an idea, you would like to know that new Marshmallow firmware brings the Camera 2.0.0 application with new UI and some additional features. Android Marshmallow’s Doze mode has also made its way to the Xperia Z2 with this update. Overall performance of Z2 has improved.
Android Marshmallow for the Xperia Z2 has the version number 6.0.1 and carries the build number 23.5.A.0.570. The update is currently rolling out to the D6503 variant of the device and is hitting select regions only. You can check out the OTA update option or your Sony PC Companion if the update is available for you. Just in case this update isn’t available at your end at the moment, you may want to update your phone manually. It’s pretty easy to flash the Marshmallow firmware manually and it involves no risks at all. A guide below explains the method comprehensively. We will just go through some early preparations and then update our beloved Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 to official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow 23.5.A.0.570 firmware.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here. After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z2 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 To 23.5.A.0.570 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow 23.5.A.0.570 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z2, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Xperia Z2. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017