Sony’s past flagship, the Xperia Z has finally started receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat few days ago. According to Sony, the new software update packs up a lot of performance enhancements and bug fixes. There are some camera enhancements made as well including Creative Effect Video, colorful emojis are added to the messaging app and the in-built screenshot menu has made it easier to take screenshots on the device. Some other apps have also got minor UI updates. Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Xperia Z is based on the build number 10.5.A.0.230.
As usual, these software updates roll out depending on the regions and there might be some regions which are yet to get this update. For the Android freaks, who own this device and cannot wait for the update to reach em’ through OTA or through Sony PC Companion, we’ve made a full guide here that will let you update your Xperia Z C6602 and C6603 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware manually using the Sony Flashtool. All you need is, follow this guide carefully.
- As mentioned, this firmware is only for Xperia Z C6602 and C6603. Do not try this on any other phone, that may result in bricking your device. Check your device’s model number in Settings > About device.
- You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
- After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.
- Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z drivers from the list. [Important]
- Your phone must be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
- Make sure that you back up all your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended and important in case something goes wrong during the flashing process or in case you select the data wipe option before flashing. You can easily restore whenever you need.
- To flash this firmware, you do not need to root your device, you do not need to unlock the bootloader. All you need is, your device must be the one mentioned and must be running on Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- Download the firmware file properly.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC. Using any other data cable might cause connection problems.
- This firmware can be flashed on Xperia Z in any region/any country.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter in order to prevent any mishap.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 Firmware on Xperia Z:
- Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 FTF file: Xperia Z C6602 | Xperia Z C6603 [Generic]
- Extract the downloaded rar file and you will get the ftf.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, however you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your Xperia Z. Enjoy
That’s All. In case you got any queries or you face any problems regarding this post, feel free to reach us through the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you all.