The great news finally landed in for Xperia Z users. Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update roll out began last night. The update started making its way to the Xperia Z users through OTA. Sony Xperia Z remained in the que for receiving the update for quite a long time. Sony updated the top Xperia Z series smartphones to Android Lollipop first of all. New firmware brings a new cool UI based on Google’s Material Design. Sony Xperia Z users can also enjoy the new lock-screen notification cards. Sony has improved the performance and battery life of the device in this update. Ultra stamina mode, quick settings with notifications are some other features that can be found in this latest update.
The update carries the build number 10.6.A.0.454 and has Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on the core. This is the very first Lollipop build for Xperia Z, so we expect that Sony will roll out a number of updates in a few more days. For now, you may install this firmware and check out the Lollipop touch and feel on your Xperia Z. The new firmware is worth updating as it brings all the goodies to the device.
The update initially made its way through OTA only and wasn’t available through Sony PC companion or through other firmware download tools, but the good news for Xperia Z owners is, the update has appeared in the form of FTF now and can be installed manually. If you’ve been waiting for this update for so long, now maybe the time for you to go ahead and update your Xperia Z C6902, C6903 or C6616 to official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 firmware. Let’s go ahead without any further ado and get some Lollipop sweetness on your beloved Xperia Z.
Please keep in mind that this is official and untouched firmware. This firmware does not contain any kind of modifications and flashing it will not hurt the warranty of your device or cause a damage in any way. We will be using Sony’s Flashtool to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 FTF file on the target device. Make sure that you follow all the instructions to the letter to avoid any mishaps.
Some early preparations:
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603 & C6616
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603 & C6616 To Official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, leave the Volume Down key and let it flash the firmware.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia Z Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016
- Download and install official Pixel Launcher on Android [APK] - October 19, 2016