Sony won’t be updating its low end Android device Xperia U to any further versions of Android, the device will stick Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Xperia U owners may not worry as custom ROMs are always there to give a new life to their device and try out something new every second. There has been a number of CyanogenMod 11 builds landing in for the device, but the nightly versions only. While finding a custom ROM for Xperia U on the XDA developers forum, I came across CyanogenMod 11 thread and found that a stable build is already available for the device, that means Xperia U owners can enjoy Android 4.4 KitKat unofficially on their device with lesser bugs and faster performance now.
As you move forward, you will find the complete method to install this CyanogenMod 11 stable Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia U. The only thing you should keep in mind is, proceed only if you’re familiar with the custom Android operating systems, and you have good idea of what you’re going to do. Let’s move forward now.
- Make sure that your phone is Xperia U ST25i. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Make sure that your phone’s bootloader is unlocked, if not then unlock it here.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- Keep in mind that this is a custom ROM and may contain bugs. We do not guarantee that everything will be perfect and up to the mark. Flash it only if you’re familiar with custom ROMs and you actually know what you’re going to do.
- Make sure that you read the instructions carefully and applied all precautionary measures. Let’s go ahead.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to flash Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia U ST25i:
- Download the ROM’s zip file .
- Download the Google Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Place the ROM.zip file and Gapps.zip file on your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, follow our full guide here to make it easy.
- Open the downlaoded ROM.zip on your PC and extract the Boot.img file only.
- Now place the kernal file that is boot.img file that you extracted from the zip folder in the fastboot folder that you downloaded from the guide linked above.
- After placing the kernel file in the fastboot folder, open the fastboot folder. Press shift and then Right click on any empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash it using the command
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”. In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do so, turn off your device, now turn it on and quickly press volume up and down keys, you will get the CWM interface.
- In CWM wipe the factory data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select the ROM.zip file that your placed on your phone’s Sd card.
- It should take a few mins to flash the ROM, now once again select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Choose the Gapps.zip file this time and flash it.
- As soon as done flashing, clear cache and dalvik cache again.
- Reboot system now, you should see the CM logo on the boot screen now, it may take upto 10 minutes in order to boot into home screen.
- Congrats! Enjoy unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia U now.
Here are some screenshots:
That’s all for now. Do tell us about your experience with this ROM. In case you got any queries or you face any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks all!