Sony has recently updated a number of it’s devices to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Xperia SP is one of them as well. Xperia SP came out back in May, 2013. Sporting a nice 4.6 inches display with 319 ppi, Xperia SP powered up with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Dual Core CPU clocked at 1.7 GHz accompanied by Adreno 320 GPU and a RAM of 1 GB is also placed in there while Sony fixed an 8 mp shooter at the back and a VGA cam on the front. Xperia SP ran on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean initially and Sony had announced the planned upgrades to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android 4.4 KitKat.
Earlier this month, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean updates for Xperia SP started rolling out based on the build number 12.1.A.0.266. The new update packs up a lot of bug fixes, performance enhancements, some minor UI changes here and there and new camera features. Sony has also improved the battery in the new updates for all of it’s Xperia line up. While these updates are region specific and reach out to the poeple via OTA or via Sony PC companion, not all the regions are lucky enough to receive this update quickly. So, if you’re one of those waiting for this update to hit their region and tasting the latest and greatest version of Android for Xperia SP, you may have to do it manually using the method we’re going to have a look on in a few minutes. Let’s go through some important installation instructions first.
Pre-requisites and installation instructions:
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia SP C5303 and C5302. Please check your device model first in Settings > About Device > Model.
- You must have installed Sony Flashtool – Get the full guide here. Also Install drivers using Flashtool > Drivers > Flashtool-drivers > Flashmode, Xperia SP, Fastboot, select all these and install.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the process.
- Flashing this firmware will wipe all your apps, apps data, system data, contacts, call logs & messages. It will not wipe the internal storage (media) data. Proceed after you’ve backed up, in the next step the guides are linked in.
- Make sure that you backup your media content,contacts, call logs and text messages. This is important and recommended so that in case you decide to wipe your phone during the flashing process, you can get all of your data back using the backup.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
- To flash this firmware, you do not need to root your device, you do not need to unlock the bootloader. All you need is, your device must be the one mentioned and must be running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
- Download the firmware file properly.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC. Using any other data cable might cause connection problems.
- You need enough confidence to perform this custom method.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter in order to prevent any mishap.
How to Install Android 4.3 12.1.A.0.266 Official Firmware on Xperia SP:
- Download Stock Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.0.266 Firmware for Xperia SP: C5303 – Link2 | C5302
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia SP, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on your Xperia SP Enjoy.
That’s all. We hope that you find this guide helpful. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties, please feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will get back to you immediately. Thanks all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017