Xperia Sola’s updates have stopped on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich that means Xperia Sola owners will not be able to any further higher Android version on their device. Since Android is an open source operating system, so anything is possible and specially when we have great developers working over XDA-developers, we may not get worried regarding our Android device. To play a remedy role here for Xperia Sola, CyanogenMod 11 has popped up that is based on Android 4.4 KitKat. Thanks to XDA-developer Munjeni for his hardwork and bringing it up for Xperia Sola owners.
In case you guys don’t know about CyanogenMod, CyanogenMod is a community built and free aftermarket version of Android that enhances the functionality and capabilities of an Android device. Over the past few years, CyanogenMod has given life to a lot of devices getting their updates discontinued. In the following post we’ll be installing Android 4.4 KitKat that is based on CyanogenMod 11 on our beloved Sony Xperia Sola. Let’s go through the installation instructions and then head towards the custom ROM guide.
- Make sure that your phone is Xperia Sola MT27i. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Make sure that your phone’s bootloader is unlocked, if not then unlock it here.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guidehere.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- Keep in mind that this is a custom ROM and may contain bugs. We do not guarantee that everything will be perfect and up to the mark. Flash it only if you’re familiar with custom ROMs and you actually know what you’re going to do.
- Make sure that you read the instructions carefully and applied all precautionary measures. Let’s go ahead
How to flash Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia Sola:
- Download the ROM’s zip file from Here .
- Open the downlaoded .zip folder and extract the boot.img kernel file only.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, follow our full guide here to make it easy.
- Now place the kernal file that is boot.img file that you extracted from the zip folder in the fastboot folder that you downloaded from the guide linked above.
- After placing the kernel file in the fastboot folder, open the fastboot folder. Press shift and then Right click on any empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash it using the command “fastboot flash boot boot.img”. In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Download the Google Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Place the ROM.zip file and Gapps.zip file on your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do so, turn off your device, now turn it on and quickly press volume up and down keys, you will get the CWM interface.
- In CWM wipe the cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select the ROM.zip file that your placed on your phone’s Sd card.
- It should take a few mins to flash the ROM, now once again select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Choose the Gapps.zip file this time and flash it.
- As soon as done flashing, clear cache and dalvik cache again.
- Reboot system now, you should see the CM logo on the boot screen now, it may take upto 10 minutes in order to boot into home screen.
- Congrats! Enjoy unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia Sola now.
That’s all for now. Do tell us about your experience with this ROM. In case you got any queries or you face any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download LG G6 Stock Wallpapers - February 26, 2017
- How to logout of Facebook Messenger on Android and iPhone - February 25, 2017
- How to install Google Play Store on Chinese OnePlus phones - February 25, 2017