Xperia Sola’s updates stopped at Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and the device is no more expected to receive any further updates that may leave a little disappointment for Xperia Sola owners but since Android is an open source operating system, that paves a way for the wast development so expecting anything beyond the boundaries won’t be wrong. Thanks to XDA developer Munjeni, who ported Android 4.1.2 stock rom from Xperia P & Xperia Go to Xperia Sola and brought it up for all the users on the forums.
So, are you looking to update your device from ICS? Well, if so, then the following post is definitely for you. We’ll be going through a comprehensive guide that will teach step by step to install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on your Xperia Sola. Even though this ROM is stable and comes with no bugs, we still recommend that you should only flash it if you’re familiar with custom ROMs and you actually know what you’re going to do. Let’s go through the important installation instructions and pre-requisites first.
- Make sure that your phone is Xperia Sola MT27i. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your device must be running on Android ICS 6.1.1.B.1.54 firwmare. Install it here.
- Make sure that your phone’s bootloader is unlocked, if not then unlock it here.
- Your device must be having a CWM recovery installed. Install it here.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- Make sure that you read the instructions carefully and applied all precautionary measures. Let’s go ahead.
|Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia Sola:
- Download Unofficial Jelly Bean Stock ROM.zip file.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into CWM recovery on your phone now. To do so, turn off your device completely. Now turn it on, as soon as you see Sony Logo, press Volume Up key once. You should see the CWM recovery interface now.
- Wipe Cache / Dalvik Cache / Data from CWM.
- Now select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from SD card > Select Unofficial Jelly bean Stock ROM.zip file > Yes” and proceed with the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your device.
- First boot may take up to 10 minutes, hold on until the device takes you to the home screen.
- Once booted up, checkout Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean running on your Xperia Sola.
- That’s all!