Android 5.0 Lollipop was released almost a month ago, in the hands of developers as well as general public, with the Arrival of Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 and from that day on most of the 3rd party developers are doing their best to provide the users the taste of Lollipop via different custom ROMs, some gave the project of AOSP, Team CM provided the CyanogenMod 12, which is by far the best option if anyone wants to try the Android 5.0 Lollipop, OmniROM 5.0 was there, AndroidNow HD Rom has been recently released for LG G3, and for some devices we have even saw the Leaked Factory Images and OTA updates, which brought us to the recent update from Samsung released for Sprint Galaxy S5 and today we have another surprise for you.
More like that news surprised me, when over the XDA, I heard that Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-GN900F is receiving the official update of Android 5.0 Lollipop, build number G900FXXU1BNL2. With the size of 1.4GB, this update will bring the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop on your device, along with some modes and tweaks added by Samsung itself like Floating Toggles and re-worked Quick Settings and thanks to SamMobile, we are presenting this update to you.This update can be downloaded via Samsung Kies, and also the case is different here besides, my experience with Samsung Kies is way too bad. You can just check the OTA update, it will be there. But if it’s not, we have an even simple solution for you, download and flash it manually. Manual Installation is great, if you’re coming from a Custom ROM and possibly the only way to get back to Official ROM.
We are going to install Android 5.0 Lollipop official firmware on our beloved Galaxy S5 SM-G900F using Odin3 in the following post. While this is an official firmware, you don’t really need to worry about anything. All you have to do is, you need to follow the instructions carefully and get it done flawlessly. Let’s go through the early preparations and then flash this firmware.
1. This guide is only for Galaxy S5 SM-G900F!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM data-cable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firmware. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy S5 SM-G900F!
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- Download and extract firmware file: Link
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S5 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- Wait for your device to reboot, as soon as it reboots check out the new firmware!
- That’s all!
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016