Galaxy Grand 2 landed in November, 2013. The device is a great choice to go with as it sports some nice specifications in a very affordable price that won’t hurt your pocket. To give you an idea of the device, let’s have a look at what it has got. Galaxy Grand Duos sports a whopping 5.25 inches IPS display with 280 ppi. There’s a powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon Quad Core CPU clocked at 1.2 GHz accompanied by Adreno 305 GPU. Galaxy Grand Duos 2 has a 1.5 GB RAM that adds to the plus points of this device as well.
Initially Samsung rolled out the device running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean atop of these nice hardware specs, but recently Samsung started rolling out Android 4.4.2 KitKat to the Indian Galaxy Grand Duos 2 users. To note it down, the Android 4.4.2 KitKat comes with some appetizing enhancements. These include white icons atop of the transparent notification bar, some of the applications including Settings app have got a new UI, music on the lockscreen has a new look and there are a lot of performance enhancements and bug fixes. Galaxy Grand Duos 2 is Samsung’s one of the most widely used Android devices, so it is obvious that so many users will be willing to get this update on their device and the Indian users who have got this update on their device will be loving it more.
Updating your device isn’t only possible through OTA updates or through Samsung Kies and it doesn’t matter if the update is rolling out to a specific region, you can still update your device manually using Samsung’s official flashing tool, well known as Odin3. To calm down the Android enthusiasts who are getting impatient to update their Galaxy Grand Duos 2, we are going to flash Android 4.4.2 KitKAt XXUBNG4 Official firmware on the Galaxy Grand 2 Duos SM-G7102. Let’s go through the guide and update the device now.
Here are the firmware details:
- Device: Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
- Firmware: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Build: G7102XXUBNG4
- Region: INU
- Build Date: 9/7/2014
- Changelist: 2176103
Here are the pre-installation instructions:
1. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firwmrae. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- Download and extract firmware file INU-G7102XXUBNG4-20140715144612.zip
How To Update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 G7102 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUBNG4 Official Firmware:
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy Grand 2 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- Wait for your device to reboot, as soon as it reboots check out the new firmware!
- That’s all!
We hope that this guide worked perfectly for you. In case you are stuck with something or you are facing any issues regarding this post, make sure that you leave the comments below. We will get back to you immediately. Thank you.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and install Hydrogen OS 3.0 on OnePlus 3/3T - February 20, 2017
- How to install TWRP on HTC U Ultra and Root it - February 20, 2017
- Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A - February 19, 2017