Nexus devices are the best when it comes to official updates, since they are the first ones to receive them before any other device and they receive the latest updates without any bugs and issues, even if there are some, another small update will remove them. While all the other devices are still in the line to receive them, even some old flagships are not in the list to receive them, Nexus users are enjoying the latest updates either in the official form or via a Custom ROM. In past we have provided the tutorial to Flash the Android 6.0 Marshmallow on the mentioned devices and now Nexus 7, 9 and Nexus 5 has received another Marshmallow update taking it to the Android 6.0.1, bringing some minor improvements over the previous version.
The best way to update your device is via the OTA, however, that will take its time to reach everyone, so coming back to the quickest way, flashing the Factory images, since they are available far before the OTA and also one of the easiest way to update your device, despite that they removes all your data, but still a good back-up can restore all of it. While those who are waiting fro the OTA, you can update your device and see what changes have been made in the game.In the on-going guide we are going to show you how you can Update Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 9 to Android 6.0.1 Official Factory Images. Let’s put a full stop to our discussion here and get the task done right away.
Here are some pre-requisites in order to make this installation safe and secure
- This guide is only for Google Nexus 5, 7, 9. Do not try this tutorial on any other device. It may result in bricking it.
- Your phone’s battery should be charged at least over 50%. This is recommended in order to avoid power issues during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. You have to enable developer options first. You can do so by going in to settings > tap build number for 7 times. Now you will have developer options in settings. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging.
- Backup all your important contacts, text messages and call logs. Also copy your media content to your PC. Backup is recommended as your device will be wiped during the flashing process.
- Download and install latest Google USB drivers. Installation of these drivers will be a little different. Download the file from the attached link and unzip it. Now connect your phone to your PC. Right click “Computer or This PC > Click on Manage > Device Manager > Find your device i.e. Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 > Right click Update driver > Browse My Computer For Driver Software > Locate and select the Google USB folder that you got after unzipping > select install now”.
- Once the installation has been completed, your device will be shown as Android Composite ADB Interface.
- Download and install Minimal Android ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.
Download Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 factory image file according to your phone.
Extract the downloaded image file to get the following files:
How To Install Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 On Your Google Nexus Device Now:
- Copy all the .img files from the extracted folder to Minimal ADB & Fastboot Folder in C>Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
- Now connect your Nexus device to your PC. Make sure that you’ve followed all the pre-requisites prior to this step.
- Now open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe file from the shortcut on your desktop or from the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder under program files in your Windows drive.
- To verify your device’s connection with your PC issue this command:
- It should show you the list of attached devices followed by a code.
- Once you’ve verified the connection, issue the following command and press enter: adb reboot-bootloader
- Your Nexus will now reboot into bootloader mode.
- Once done, navigate to the folder where you extracted the contents of downloaded zip file.
- From the extracted files, run the script “flash-all.bat”.
- Follow on-screen instructions and sit back while it flashes the firmware on your Nexus.
- That’s all. Your Nexus will now boot into the newly installed Android Marshmallow 6.0.1
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016