Almost every other device is being updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop via the AOSP built or via custom ROMs like CyanogenMod 12 or OmniROM. The most common ones are CM12 and AOSP sources. Some OEMs are uploading the developer build Images and some devices have been as lucky as to even receive the Official Lollipop ROM. We have seen the Developer Preview of Android 5.0 Lollipop for some devices being released in past. This time it is released for HTC One. The available version of Android 5.0 Lollipop developer preview for HTC One is Alpha 2. The previous developer preview images were not much stable and therefore were not suitable for installation. It is time for users of HTC One to update their devices to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
This is the same developer preview, that was used on Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 and it is not a SDK, but the ROM itself, which can be flashed via TWRP or CWM recovery. Since this is still in its Alpha stage, there are chances that you’ll face some problems while using this ROM. Some apps might not work. However, this ROM can be consider as a Daily driver. In this Article, we will show you How to Update HTC One to Android 5.0 Lollipop Developer Preview. If you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your HTC One by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from HTC but a Custom ROM. You need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and your device must be rooted. Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for HTC One!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Root Your device & Install Custom Recovery!
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is HTC in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Android 5.0 Lollipop Developer Preview: Link
Google Apps: Link
How To Install AOSP Lollipop:
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Open Recovery mode. How?
- Connect your device with PC
- Open Command Prompt in Fastboot folder. (ADB and Fastboot Tools Installer)
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Choose Recovery from Bootloader
CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery:
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Finally Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the Android 5.0.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
- Tap On Back-Up and Select System and Data
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System, Data.
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider.
- Go back to Main Menu and Tap Install Button.
- Locate the Android 5.0.zip, Gapps.zip and Swipe the Slider To install it.
- Once the Installation is Over, you will be promoted to Reboot System Now
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
The first boot might take up-to half an hour, so better play a game or get yourself a cup of coffee or Tea۔
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016