As mentioned on XDA, “Small but Eternal” we have seen CyanogenMod 12 on a few devices and they are either high-end device or flagship devices, but no one had anticipated to see it on such and old device like HTC Explorer. CyanogenMod 12 is based on Pure Android 5.0 Lollipop and might be the only ROM that will be available for HTC Explorer, which is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop. While other devices are still waiting for Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat custom ROMs, devices which are far better in specs and performance than HTC Explorer, this device is getting the Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM.
The ROM is in its Alpha stage, which means that this ROM will contain lot of bugs and performance issues, so don’t except it to be a clean ROM. In further updates, if there is any, one can except the developers to release the stable version. The must-know thing about this ROM, is that you’ll need a Custom Recovery that is compatible with Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM and also the very first boot might take up-to half an hour, so better play a game or get yourself a cup of coffee or Tea before even start to see the Preparations. Both the Firmware link and Recovery link will be provided to get ready to rock and roll. However, if you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your HTC Explorer by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from HTC but a Custom ROM, you need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and also your device must be rooted. Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for HTC Explorer!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Root Your device
Follow the Link to root your device: Link
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is HTCin our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
CM12 ROM: Link
ADB Tools: Link
How To Flash the Recovery:
- Download the Recovery Image
- Rename it to recovery.img and paste it in the Fastboot folder, created in ADB guide
- Turn Off your Device
- Now go to Bootloader/Fastboot mode, Press and hold Power + Volume Down Buttons till you see some text on-screen
- Now Open Command prompt in Fastboot Folder. How? Hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the Fastboot folder.
- Connect your Device with PC.
- Now Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to flash the this Recovery on your device
- Type fastboot reboot, to reboot your device
- After a proper reboot, your device will be running this Recovery
How To Install CyanogenMod 12:
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Open Recovery mode. How?
- Connect your device with PC
- Open Command Prompt in Fastboot folder.
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Choose Recovery from Bootloader
Into the Recovery:
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Finally Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the CM12.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
The first boot might take up-to half an hour, so better play a game or get yourself a cup of coffee or Tea۔
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016