Galaxy S5 Mini is Samsung’s 3rd phone in its mini lineup, and it also happens to be the last. We saw no Galaxy S6 Mini. Galaxy S5 Mini was that’s it. The phone equips a 4.5″-inch Super AMOLED display. We have 8 MP camera at its back and a 2.1 MP on the front. Galaxy S5 Mini has a 1.5 GB RAM under the hood and it runs on Exynos 3470 CPU. A 2100 mAh battery is fixed inside. Galaxy S5 Mini ran on Android KitKat out of the box, but it was later updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
Android Lollipop was the last update for Galaxy S5 Mini from Samsung. It hasn’t got any attention from Samsung since then. Galaxy S5 Mini owners either have to stick to the Android Lollipop stock firmware or find some other way to update their phone to a higher version of Android. Thanks to custom ROM developers who have been doing this job of keeping this device alive. We have witnessed the Android Marshmallow and Android Nougat ROMs for the S5 Mini. Now is the time to flash the all new Android 7.1 Nougat on the phone.
Previously, we used to flash CyanogenMod custom ROM on the devices. CyanogenMod has been replaced by LineageOS now. LineageOS has already made its way to Galaxy S5 Mini. The latest version i.e. LineageOS 14.1 in the shape of Android 7.1 Nougat is out for the S5 Mini. LineageOS 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat Custom ROM is available for SM-G800F, G800M and G800Y variants of the Galaxy S5 Mini. What’s more interesting in this ROM is, most of the day-to-day features are working quite well.
Phone, SMS Messages, Calls, Bluetooth, WiFi, Camera, MTP Storage, Flash Light, Mobile Data, USB OTG and all other mainstream features are working good. This means you can keep this custom ROM as a daily driver in your phone. You only need to take care of a few things while flashing this ROM on your phone. Follow the given instructions to the word to avoid any kind of mishap during the ROM installation process.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F, G800M and G800Y. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 3.0 recovery on your Mini S5.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Update Galaxy S5 Mini to Android 7.1 Nougat LineageOS 14.1 Custom ROM
- Download lineage-14.1-20170219-UNOFFICIAL-kminilte.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file [arm -7.1] for LineageOS 14.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Locate and select lineage-14.1-xxxxxxx-golden.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Locate and select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 7.1 Nougat LineageOS 14.1 running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017