Samsung’s 2nd Mini Galaxy device, named as Galaxy S4 Mini is currently having a KitKat, the version number is Android 4.4.2. While we are not even sure whether the device will get a little more sweetness by getting a Lollipop update officially, the great developers have once again come up with an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12, that is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop and this unofficial CM 12 build is found to be working great on the two variants of the Galaxy S4 Mini, the 3G (I9190) and LTE (I9195). Earlier builds of the CyanogenMod 12 for the Samsung devices contained a lot of bugs, in which, the RIL bug was atop, that didn’t let the phone, SMS and other such services work on the device. This bug has been fixed as well, and we are seeing improvement with every new build that’s coming up. For the Galaxy S4 Mini, all the credit goes to the XDA recognized developer F4k, who has worked hard to make it work for this device and allowed the users to calm themselves down til Samsung unveils any plans for the Galaxy S4 Mini’s Lollipop update.
Some folks who are not aware of the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, they may want to know what it’s actually all about. Let’s just have a brief overview of the Android 5.0 Lollipop and learn the purpose we are here for right now. Google recently unveiled the latest and the biggest update in the history of Android, named as Android 5.0 Lollipop. Just as the name suggests, we can see a lot of cool and sweet features in the Lollipop OS, in which the UI changes are the most prominent ones. Google has named the new UI as Material Design, the UI is just flat and smooth. Google has already update most of its applications with the Material Design UI to make them look great on the Android devices. On the core we have battery life enhancements, performance enhancements. Android 5.0 Lollipop also turned out to be the most secured version of Android so far. The changelog list is pretty big, just to know what’s new, you may install it by yourself and go through the actual firmware to learn all about it.
Let’s get back to our topic now. The Galaxy S4 Mini users must be wondering how they can install this Android 5.0 Lollipop based on CyangenMod 12 custom ROM on their device and experience the latest iteration of Android manually. Well, that’s what we are here for. We are about to update the Galaxy S4 Mini 3G (GT- I9190) and LTE(I9195) to Android 5.0 Lollipop using this CyanogenMod 12.0 custom ROM in the succeeding guide. The ROM is still in development stages, bugs are expected and it may not be kept for daily use. You may proceed only if you’ve a very good idea of custom ROMs and you actually know how to deal with them, it is highly recommended not to proceed if you are a newbie. Let’s go through the early preparations now.
1. This Guide Is Only For Galaxy S4 Mini I9190 & I9195
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery is required for flashing this ROM. You may use our guide to from here to install a TWRP custom recovery on your Galaxy S4 Mini I9190 & I9195.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – You can do this using CWM/TWRP recovery.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. If your device has the Knox counter on the bootloader, it will be tripped and you won’t be able to reset it ever. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Here’s what’s working in this ROM and what’s not
RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
Not known yet..
How To Update Galaxy S4 Mini I9190/I9195 To Android 5.0 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM
- Download CM 12 ROM.zip file for your device carefully
- Download Google Gapps.zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP/CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP/CWM recovery select wipe option and wipe cache, factory data reset, dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card / locate the zip file > Select CM-12 ROM.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone.
- Once again in recovery select “Install > Choose zip from SD card / locate the file > Gapps.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12.0 running on your Galaxy S4 Mini in a while.
- That’s all!
If you’ve any queries or you’re stuck with anything regarding this post, please reach us through the comment box below. We will get back to you immediately. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017