A little late though, but still better late than never, alot of Samsung devices has received the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update, both international and carrier bounded devices. Samsung Galaxy S4, the international variant has already received the update of Android 5.0 Lollipop, most probably, if I am not wrong, the date was 19th of February. The update was then rolled out for other Galaxy S4 variants, one of them is the AT&T Galaxy S4. The rumors of this update started back in the end of March and the Roll-out was started today and now thanks to XDA member, Apoplectic1, for extracting the Firmware for all those who can’t of haven’t received the update yet.
However, if you have a rooted device or a custom ROM installed, you better revert to Stock and also clear Triangle Counter before proceeding, otherwise, the flashing will fail and you’ll get a message saying, “Footer is Wrong” and even if the you fail to update the device using this firmware, better wait for one to arrive on the Sammobile.
We are going to Update AT&T Galaxy S4 to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Official Firmware using Odin3 in the following post. While this is an official firmware, you don’t really need to worry about anything. All you have to do is, you need to follow the instructions carefully and get it done flawlessly. Let’s go through the early preparations and then flash this firmware.
- This is only for AT&T Galaxy S4!
- Battery should be charged at least over 60%
- Backup EFS
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Samsung in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility
How to Update Galaxy S4 GT-I9506:
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- Download and extract firmware file: Link
- Wipe your device completely in order to attain a neat installation.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S4 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- Wait for your device to reboot, as soon as it reboots check out the new firmware!
- That’s all!
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016