Here’s how you can install and update Android One phone to Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod 14. The CM 14 ROM will work for both Sprout 4 and Sprout 8 Android One phones.
Android One devices are intended Android beginners. Google’s Android One experiment was quite successful as various manufacturers all around the world joined hands with Google to pull out Android One phones. These phones are cheap and easy to get your hands on. Android One provides a very close to stock Android experience and tweaking this specific firmware has remained easy. Over the past few years, the Android One development has been improving. Android One phones are blessed with a plethora of custom ROMs. Whenever Google introduces a new version of Android OS, Android One phones are the part of the league to get the Custom ROM based on that OS in the very early stages.
Continuing the trend, Android One phones have now received the CyanogenMod 14 before other Android handsets. The CM 14 for Android One is currently in the testing stage, however most of the features except the video decoding/encoding and cellular data are working. If these features are not a big deal for you, you may give CM 14 a try on your Android One phone and taste the new Android 7.0 Nougat. The available ROM is for the Sprout 4 devices, that means this ROM will also work on Sprout 8 devices. Sprout 4 devices are the ones which have 4 GB internal storage while the Sprout 8 devices have 8 GB internal storage. Another thing to keep in mind is that this ROM is working on Android One first generation devices only. Do not try to flash it on 2nd gen Android One devices or else you will result in bricking your phone. Here’s a list of first gen Android One handsets.
- Karbon Sparkle V
- Micromax Canvas A1
- Spice Dream UNO
- Symphony Roar A50
- Mito Impact
- Evercoss One X
- Nexian Journey One
- Cherry Mobile 1
- Q Mobile A1
- MyPhone UNO
- The guide works for first generations Android One phones only. Do not try this on 2nd gen Android One phones or else you will result in bricking your device.
- Charge your phone’s battery up to 50% to avoid power issues during flashing process.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and also copy the media content to your computer.
- If your phone is rooted previously then consider backing up your applications with data using Titanium Backup.
- If you already have a custom recovery installed, then consider making a Nandroid backup. If not installed already, then you will install a custom recovery prior to installation so make sure that you backup the Nandroid before flashing new ROM.
- Install latest TWRP 3.0.2.x custom recovery on your Android One.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Update Android One phone to Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod 14
- Download CyanogenMod 14 custom ROM.zip file: cm-14.0-20160904-UNOFFICIAL-sprout4.zip
- Download Google GApps for Android 7.0 Nougat.
- Copy both the downoaded.zip files into your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Now boot your Android One phone into TWRP recovery. To do so, turn off your phone first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power Key.
- Once you are in TWRP, tap Install > Locate the CM 14 ROM file > Select the file > Flash it > Swipe to confirm.
- After flashing the ROM, flash GApps.zip file in the same way.
- Once done, reboot your device into system.
- You will now boot up into CyanogenMod 14. That’s all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016