An unofficial build of TWRP recovery is now available for the all new OnePlus X. You can flash this TWRP recovery on your OnePlus X. First of all you will need to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus X. Instructions to unlock OnePlus X booltoader are attached below, after unlocking the bootloader you can flash TWRP recovery. Once you’ve flashed the TWRP recovery on your OnePlus X, you can flash SuperSu afterwards and easily gain root access on your device. Custom recovery will allow you load all the custom stuff on your phone as well. Before we learn about the proper use of custom recovery and root access, we will go through a brief over-view of OnePlus X and then head towards the method as well.
Exactly a month ago, OnePlus launched a younger brother of its all time famous the original OnePlus named as OnePlus X. This new phone by OnePlus sported a 5.0-inch 1080p display carrying a ppi of 441. The device runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 CPU clocked at 2.3 GHz accompanied by Adreno 330 GPU and a RAM of 3 GB. OnePlus X has an internal storage of 16 GB and also supports a microSD up to 128 GB. One the camera end, we have got a 13 MP shooter at the back and 8 MP shooter on the front. OnePlus X runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop themed with OxygenOS UI out of the box. Now that the device is out, it’s being caught up by some developers as well that means we will be having enough of stuff to unleash the real power of OnePlus X in the upcoming days.
In casey you’re new to custom recovery and root access, you may want to learn a little bit about both these terms. A custom recovery works in the boot-partition of your Android device. It allows you to perform various operations like flashing custom ROMs, custom MODs, Tweaks and other .zip files like SuperSu.zip. You can also wipe system, modem, cache, dalvik cache and other such partitions. Another useful function of a custom recovery is the complete Nandroid backup. As far as the root access is concerned, it allows you run root-specific applications on your device. You can install applications like Titanium Backup, Greenify, System Tuner etc to enhance the performance and battery life of your Android smartphone. Both these custom recovery and root terms have a lot of advantages, and have some downsides too, but since the advantages are greater, the downsides shouldn’t bother you. Let’s move ahead now and learn to install TWRP recovery and root your OnePlus X.
Precautions & Prep
- This guide is intended for OnePlus X only. Do not try this method on any other device otherwise you may result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged up to 80% in order to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Backup all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content to stay on a safe end.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your OnePlux X in developer options. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options in settings now. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging. If you have the “OEM Unlocking” option, enable it as well.
- Use your original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. Rooting the device and flashing a custom recover is never recommended by a device manufacturer. In case something goes wrong, TechBeasts or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Required downloads & installations
- Download and install OnePlus USB drivers.
- Download and install Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your phone’s internal storage.
Unlock OnePlus X Bootloader
Unlocking bootloader will wipe your device. Make sure that you’ve backed up everything before going ahead.
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded and installed Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or installed Mac ADB & Fastboot for Mac.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Now open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > Press and hold Shift Key + Right click on an empty area with the open folder > click “Open command window here”.
- Now in the command window enter the following commands one by one.
This will reboot your Nvidia Shield in bootloader. Once booted up, issue the following command.
This command will verify the connection of your device with your PC in fastboot mode.
fastboot oem unlock
This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the enter key after typing this command, you will get a message in your phone asking for the confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Use volume up & down keys to navigate through options and confirm unlocking.
This command will reboot your phone. That’s all, disconnect your phone.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus X
- Download recovery.img file for OnePlus X.
- Rename the download file as only recovery.img and then copy this file to Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder which is located in program files in your windows installation drive.
- Now boot your OnePlus X into fastboot mode as suggested in the step 4 above.
- Connect your OnePlus X to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe or the command window as explained in step 3 above.
- Now in the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img
(this will boot your device in TWRP recovery mode)
To boot manually in to TWRP recovery mode, unplug USB cable from your OnePlus X and turn off your device completely by keeping the power key pressed for a while. Now press and hold Volume Down + Power Key to turn on your OnePlus X. As soon as your phone’s screen turns on, leave the Power Key and keep the Volume Down Key pressed. Your device will now boot into TWRP recovery mode.
How To Root OnePlus X
- Make sure that you’ve copied SuperSu.zip file to your phone. In case you haven’t, do it now.
- Now boot your phone in to TWRP recovery mode. To do so, turn it off completely first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key. If this doesn’t work for you then try Volume Up + Power or both, Volume Down + Up + Power to boot into recovery mode.
- As you see TWRP recovery, tap “Install > Locate the copied SuperSu.zip file (should be at bottom) > tap this file > Swipe the bar at the bottom of screen to confirm flash”.
- As soon as SuperSu.zip file is flashed, go back to main menu in TWRP and tap reboot > system.
- Your device will boot up now. Find SuperSu in app drawer. Install Root Checker app to verify root access.
Don’t forget to create a Nandroid Backup for your OnePlus X now. Also checkout how to use Titanium Backup since you’ve got your phone rooted. That’s all. Stuck with something? Don’t worry! Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016