Samsung’s Galaxy Mega received a good amount of development. Many custom ROMs and MODs are available for the Mega series. Users have some interesting stuff to play with. Galaxy Mega is pretty old now, and the device ain’t receiving any further updates of Android. So, even if you want to load a greatest version of Android on your device, a custom ROM might be the choice for you to go with. To pave a way for all the cool stuff, up to dated ROMs, you need a latest version of custom recovery running on your device. TWRP’s latest version, 18.104.22.168 is now available for Galaxy Mega 6.3 & Galaxy Mega 5.8.
The latest version of TWRP works with Galaxy Mega 6.3 & 5.8 running Android KitKat, the recovery also works with all previous versions of Android running on these devices. As this is the latest version of TWRP, it can be used for flashing custom Android 5.0 Lollipop ROMs. You need to have a latest recovery for flashing some files at times, so if you have old version of TWRP, you may want to update it now. In the on-going guide we are going to flash this latest TWRP 22.214.171.124 recovery on our beloved Galaxy Mega 6.3 & Galaxy Mega 5.8. Once we are done installing the recovery, we will also root the device by flashing SuperSu.zip file. Let’s have a look on some pre-installation instructions and then flash the recovery.
Early preparations & instructions
- After following this guide, you will be done with
- TWRP Recovery & Root For Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200, I9205 LTE
- TWRP Recovery & Root For Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9150, I9152
- Do not try this guide on any other device. Check your device’s model number under settings > general / more > about device. Trying this method on any other device will result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 50%. This is recommended in order to avoid power issues during the installation process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, you need to enable developer options first. Go to settings > system > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled under settings > system > developer options. Open developer options now and enable USB debugging mode.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your PC and your phone.
- While using Odin3, disable Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall or any Anti-Virus if you’ve enabled.
- To be on the safe side, backup your contacts, call logs, text messages and copy the important media content to your PC.
- Download the files properly for your device and follow the instructions to the letter to avoid mishap.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your risk.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download & extract Odin3 V3.10.6 on your PC.
- Download TWRP recovery & SuperSu.zip
- twrp-126.96.36.199-melius.tar | Download TWRP 3.0.tar file for flashing Android 7.0 [Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200, I9205]
- twrp-188.8.131.52-crater.tar [Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9150, I9152]
How To Install TWRP Recovery & Root Galaxy Mega
- Copy SuperSu.zip file to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Open Odin3 V3.10.6.exe that you extracted on your PC.
- Put your Mega in download mode now. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once your phone boots up, press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. The ID:COM box in the top-left corner of Odin3 should turn blue. This indicates that your phone is connected properly.
- Now click the “AP” tab in Odin and select the twrp-2.8..6.0.xxxxx.tar/TWRP for Android 7.0 Nougat.tar file. It will take a second or two for Odin3 to load this file.
- If the Auto-reboot option is unticked, tick it. Leave all other options in Odin3 as they are.
- Now you’re all set to flash the recovery. Just click the start button in Odin3 and sit back.
- Once the process box above ID:COM box shows green light and flashing process is finished, disconnect your device. Let it reboot
- Now turn off your device properly as we are going to boot into recovery mode.
- Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. This will boot your device in recovery mode. It should be TWRP recovery that you just installed.
- Now in TWRP recovery, select Install > locate the SuperSu.zip file and flash it.
- Once flashed, reboot your device.
- Checkout the SuperSu in application drawer. Also install BusyBox from Play Store.
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
- That’s all. You’re now set to unleash the open source nature of Android.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017
- Download Yu Gi Oh Duel Links for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017