LG’s former flagship device is quite old now, but still liked by a number of users. The device won LG some respect because of its great hardware specifications, and helped LG to stay in competition with the rivals as well and the device still stands among one of the best Android devices. LG has already introduced its latest flagship, the G3, which actually brought the attention of all the users towards LG because of some potential features LG introduced in the device e.g Laser Auto Focus, QHD screen etc. This surely makes the G2 owners a little sad because they can’t get the latest hardware features on their G2, but the software features surely can be transferred to the G2 and this may help the LG G2 owners to give their devices a new life.
This nice job has been done by XDA senior member OptimusRs, who ported in the LG G3 firmware to the LG G2 named as OptimusG3 ROM. This firmware is based on LG G2 D802’s 20d firmware , is pre rooted and contains a number of features that are eye-catching. From the LG G3, the 4K feature from its camera and 120 FPS recording with Magic Focus has been ported while the UI of this firmware is completely as same as that of the G3, and actually transforms your LG G2 into LG G3. Besides this, OptimusG3 ROM is bloatware free, and is expected to treat your device quite nicely.
As you scroll down, you will find the guide to install the OptimusG3 firmware on your LG G2 and learn how you can transform it into the LG G3. Let’s go through the ROM features and then head towards the installation guide.
- This guide is only on for LG G2 – All Variants. Do not try this on any other device or else you will end up bricking it. You may check your device’s model by going to Settings > About Device.
- Your device must be rooted and have a custom recovery installed. Check out our TWRP Installation and Root guide for the LG G2.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- This is a stock based custom ROM, and maybe kept for everyday’s use. You do not need to worry about the bugs and flaws in the ROM.
- Alright, let’s flash this ROM now.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is LG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to Install OptimusG3 ROM and Transform your LG G2 into LG G3:
- Download KK Baseband.zip file for your LG G2, download it carefully for your device’s model. [Skip step 1 to 4 if you are already on KitKat baseband]
- Copy the downloaded Baseband.zip file to your phone’s SD card now.
- Now boot into custom recovery on your LG G2, that you installed using the above steps.
- Once in TWRP recovery, select Install > Locate the KK baseband.zip file and flash it.
- Now download OptimusG3 v1.1 ROM.zip file.
- Copy the downloaded ROM.zip file to your phone’s SD card now.
- Now boot into custom recovery on your LG G2 once again.
- Once in TWRP recovery, select Install > Locate the OptimusG3 ROM.zip file and flash it.
- If the ROM prompts you for wiping the data, wipe everything otherwise wipe using the steps below after installation.
- Wait for the installation to get finished, once done, get back to the main menu in CWM recovery.
- Now wipe Factory/Data Reset. Also wipe cache and dalvik cache from advanced options.
- Once done, reboot your device.
- First boot may take up to 10 minutes just hold on tight.
- Once booted up, you can enjoy Optimus G3 ROM on your LG G2 with G3 features.
- That’s all. Enjoy!
Here’s the ROM screenshot by the developer:
Let us know how does this ROM treats you. In case its good enough, don’t forget to donate to the original developer. In case of any queries, feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you asap.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A - February 19, 2017
- Install Official Android Nougat T-Mobile Galaxy S7 G930T and S7 Edge G935T - February 19, 2017
- Download Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 Stock Wallpapers - February 18, 2017