Xperia ZR has also started receiving the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update. The build number for Lollipop update is 10.6.A.0.454. It is based on Material Design. This guide will follow through all the steps to root Xperia ZR Lollipop firmware with build number 10.6.A.0.454. This rooting guide can be used on C5502 and C5503 variants of Xperia ZR. Do not attempt to use this guide on any other variant of this phone. Make sure that your phone is running Android 5.0.2 10.6.A.0.454 firmware. These precautions are necessary to ensure the safety of your phone during the rooting process.
By rooting, phone can be customized and bloatware can be removed. Bloatware is term that describes the pre-installed content on any device. Sony pre-installs lot of applications and features on Xperia ZR which cannot be removed or uninstalled like other applications. These useless application make phone slower. To remove these applications, phone must be rooted. To root 10.6.A.0.454 firmware on Xperia ZR, follow the given steps below. Do not miss any steps. Every step is explained will necessary details so that even those who are rooting a phone for first time should not face any issue.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia ZR C5502 and Xperia ZR C5503
This rooting method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia ZR drivers from the list. If you do not find the Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and install Sony PC Companion instead, for drivers support. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
7. Unlock Bootloader (Optional)
Use the following guide to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia device before proceeding.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Steps For Rooting Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .283 Firmware and Root It
- If you have already updated your smartphone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, then you have to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Use this guide to Install .283 firmware.
- Root using this guide.
- Now you have to Install XZ Dual Recovery (Steps below).
- Now phone is rooted, USB Debugging must be enabled.
- Download latest installer for Xperia ZR from here. (ZR-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC using OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- It will install the custom recovery.
- Now work here is done. Lets move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .454 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download .454 FTF and place it anywhere on PC. [For your phone model only!]
- Download ZR-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on ZR C5503, C5502 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect it.
- Now go back to the .454 ftf you downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/firmwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon in the top left.
- Click on it and click on flashmode.
- Select the .454 firmware.
- In the right bar, in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other options as it is.
- While flashtool prepares the software for flashing, turn off your phone.
- Keep the volume down button pressed and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- The button must be pressed during it.
- The phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done 🙂
- That’s all 🙂 Enjoy!
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below
Latest posts by Hayder Ameen (see all)
- Root Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Firmware - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia Z C6602,C6603 10.6.A.0.454 5.0.2 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015