After delaying it for about two months, Sony has started seeding the Lollipop updates for Xperia Z series. Xperia Z Ultra received Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update under build number 14.5.A.0.242. Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for Xperia Z Ultra is released for C6802, C6806 and C6833 model numbers. The Android Lollipop update for Xperia Z Ultra brings the Material design customisation to Sony’s own UI, which happens to be a pretty pleasant mixture. The 14.5.A.0.242 update for Xperia Z Ultra is one of the best and most awaited updates ever. As soon as the update was released, people rushed to their machines and starting updated their devices.
Android Power Users have to root Xperia Z Ultra 14.5.A.0.242 firmware after updating it. Unfortunately, the old rooting methods do not work with this firmware. Xperia Z Ultra can still be rooted without having to unlock the bootloader. For a Power user, this does not matter since they want to install custom ROMs and kernels and for that unlocked bootloader is required. This guide follows the method to root Xperia Z Ultra 14.5.A.0.242 firmware with one of the following model numbers; C6802, C6833 and C6806. If you have any other model number, then please do not attempt to use this guide on your device.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802, Z Ultra C6806 and Z Ultra C6833
This rooting method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z Ultra drivers from the list. If you do not find the Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and install Sony PC Companion instead, for drivers support. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
7. Unlock Bootloader
Use the following guide to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia device before proceeding.
Steps For Rooting Xperia Z Ultra 14.5.A.0.242 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .108 Firmware and Root It
- If you have already updated your smartphone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, then you have to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Use this guide to Install .108 firmware.
- Root using this guide.
- Now Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Now phone is rooted, USB Debugging must be enabled.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z Ultra from here. (ZU-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC using OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- It will install the custom recovery.
- Now work here is done. Lets move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .242 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download .242 FTF and place it anywhere on PC (The Firmware must be specific to your device).
- Download ZU-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
Note: If you do not want to create a pre-rooted flashable zip for your device and skip few tests, then you can download the pre-rooted flashable zip from the link given below. However C6833 users will have to create their own flashable zip for now.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Z Ultra C6802/C6806/C6833 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect it.
- Now go back to the .242 ftf you downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon in the top left.
- Click on it and click on flashmode.
- Select the .242 firmware.
- In the right bar, in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other options as it is.
- While flashtool prepares the software for flashing, turn off your phone.
- Keep the volume down button pressed and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- The button must be pressed during it.
- The phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done 🙂
- That’s all 🙂 Enjoy
- Now your phone has a dual custom recovery, root access and of course latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below
Latest posts by Hayder Ameen (see all)
- Root Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Firmware - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia Z C6602,C6603 10.6.A.0.454 5.0.2 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015