Sony Xperia T2 Ultra is one of the first non-Z series Xperia devices to receive the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update. This guide deals in particular with Xperia T2 Ultra Dual with model number D5322. The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for T2 Ultra is 19.3.A.0.470. The new updates was released few days back and it is already available for flashing even for those who have not received the OTA update yet. Those who have updated their Xperia T2 Ultra Dual must have noticed that there is not complete rooting method available for lollipop firmware of T2 Ultra Dual yet. This guide explains every steps that will be required to root Xperia T2 Ultra with a noob-proof guide.
The latest build number for Xperia T2 Ultra Dual is 19.3.A.0.470. There is not easy rooting method available for this device yet. However, this guide makes it pretty easy to follow and each step is explained clearly to help you root D5322 19.3.A.0.470 firmware. Following are the steps that will be used in rooting Xperia T2 Ultra Dual Lollipop firmware.
1. This Guide is Only for Xperia T2 Ultra Dual D5322
This rooting method is only for Xperia T2 Ultra Dual with model number D5322. The phone must be running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware with 19.3.A.0.470 build number. You can confirm the phone model and software’s build number by opening About Phone in Settings menu.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia T2 Ultra drivers from the list. If you do not find the Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and install Sony PC Companion instead, for drivers support. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
7. Unlock Bootloader [Important]
Use the following guide to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia device before proceeding.
8. Set Up ADB and Fastboot Drivers
Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer. If you are using Windows, then you should use Windows 7 to use ADB Drivers. ADB Drivers for Mac and Windows are given below.
Steps For Rooting T2 Ultra Dual D5322 19.3.A.0.470 Firmware
1. Downgrade to 19.1.C.0.116 firmware and Root It
- If you have not updated your devices from Android 4.4.2 firmware yet then you can skip the downgrading process.
- Those who have updated their devices to Android 5.0.2 firmware already, they must follow these steps.
- Download 19.1.C.0.116 ftf D5233 and flash it on phone using Flashtool Guide.
- Once downgraded, move on to step 5 for rooting it.
- Make sure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your device by now.
- Download TWRP Kernel For D5233 and place it anywhere on PC. Download V3 of kernel.
- Rename the downloaded file to boot.img.
- Copy boot.img to Fastboot folder.
- Now turn off phone completely.
- Connect USB cable to PC Only.
- Keep volume up pressed on phone and connect USB to phone.
- The phone will enter fastboot mode.
- Open Fastboot folder.
- Inside it, keep shift button on keyboard pressed and right-click on mouse.
- Click on ‘Open Command Window Here’.
- Type fastboot devices and press Enter.
- Make sure that only one device is listed there.
- If you can see more than one device, then disconnect any other device from PC, disable or uninstall if any Android Emulator and also disable or uninstall PC Companion if installed.
- Copy boot.img to Fastboot folder.
- Again open Command Window and type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter.
- Flashing will be done in few seconds.
- Type fastboot reboot and press Enter.
- The phone will reboot in few seconds.
- Download SuperSU zip and copy it to phone’s internal memory.
- Turn off phone again and while turning it on, press volume down button repeatedly on Sony Logo to enter recovery mode.
- You will see TWRP logo and then you will be presented with a set of options.
- Tap on install and locate the folder where downloaded SuperSU is placed.
- Tap on it and install/flash it.
- It will root the phone automatically.
- Now go back to main menu and reboot the phone.
- Do not wipe anything at this stage.
- Now download Dual Recovery Installer for T2 Ultra (T2U) T2U-lockeddualrecovery2.8.14-RELEASE.installer.zip
- Unzip and connect the phone with PC and run the installer.
- It will install the Dual Recovery on Phone.
- Now move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .470 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download .470 FTF and place it anywhere on PC.
- Download T2U-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on T2 Ultra Dual 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect it.
- Now go back to the .470 ftf you downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon in the top left.
- Click on it and click on flashmode.
- Select the .470 firmware.
- In the right bar, in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other options as it is. (Tick System Only)
- While flashtool prepares the software for flashing, turn off your phone.
- Keep the volume down button pressed and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- The button must be pressed during it.
- The phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done 🙂
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below
Latest posts by Hayder Ameen (see all)
- Root Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Firmware - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia Z C6602,C6603 10.6.A.0.454 5.0.2 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015