Samsung always launches different variants of its flagship devices for the Chinese region. This time, the Galaxy S6 for China has three different variants modeled as SM-G9200, G9208, G9209. If you’re going to get hands on any of these variants and you also happen to be an Android power user, you sure would want to modify the device by applying different tweaks or installing root applications. But before doing any such thing, you will need to root your device and install a custom recovery. If you’re looking out for a method to do any of these, you’ve already spotted the right place.
In the following guide, we are going to install TWRP recovery and root our beloved Chinese Galaxy S6 SM-G9200, G9208 & G9209. To be on the safer side, make sure that you perform all the operations according to the instructions listed below. If you are not confident about this, we highly recommend you not to go ahead and stay away from root and recovery. Let’s go through some early preparations and then install recovery and root.
Early preparations & instructions
- After following this guide, you will be done with
- TWRP recovery and root Galaxy S6 G9200 [China – Hong Kong]
- TWRP Recovery and root Galaxy S6 G9208 [China]
- TWRP Recovery and root Galaxy S6 G9209 [China]
- Do not try this guide on any other device. Check your device’s model number under settings > general / more > about device. Trying this method on any other device will result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 50%. This is recommended in order to avoid power issues during the installation process.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, you need to enable developer options first. Go to settings > system > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled under settings > system > developer options. Open developer options now and enable USB debugging mode.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your PC and your phone.
- While using Odin3, disable Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall or any Anti-Virus if you’ve enabled.
- To be on the safe side, backup your contacts, call logs, text messages and copy the important media content to your PC.
- Download the files properly for your device and follow the instructions to the letter to avoid mishap.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download & extract Odin3 V3.10.6 on your PC.
- Download TWRP recovery & SuperSu.zip
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Your Chinese Galaxy S6 SM-G9200, G9208 & G9209 & Root It
- Copy SuperSu.zip file to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Open Odin3 V3.10.6.exe that you extracted on your PC.
- Put your phone in download mode now. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once your phone boots up, press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. The ID:COM box in the top-left corner of Odin3 should turn blue. This indicates that your phone is connected properly.
- Now click the “AP” tab in Odin and select the twrp-18.104.22.168-zeroflte.img.tar file. It will take a second or two for Odin3 to load this file.
- If the Auto-reboot option is ticked, untick it. Leave all other options in Odin3 as they are.
- Now you’re all set to flash the recovery. Just click the start button in Odin3 and sit back.
- Once the process box above ID:COM box shows green light and flashing process is finished, disconnect your device.
- Keep the power key pressed for a while and turn it off.
- Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. This will boot your device in recovery mode. It should be TWRP recovery that you just installed.
- Now in TWRP recovery, select Install > locate the SuperSu.zip file and flash it.
- Once flashed, reboot your device.
- Checkout the SuperSu in application drawer. Also install BusyBox from Play Store.
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
- That’s al. You’re now set to unleash the open source nature of Android.
Just in case you’re facing any difficulties following this procedure or you’re stuck with something, feel free to reach me out in the comment box below. Thank you.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016