Got your hands on the all new mighty Galaxy S6 Edge+, well if so, then we would like to congratulate you first of all. If you’ve already explored your device, you may not be able to find enough stuff to play with. Galaxy S6 Edge+ is one of the most high devices today, and the device is a perfect toy for Android power users. If you’re not an Android power user and you’ve got this device, it may be the time for you to learn about terms like root, custom recovery, custom ROMs and become an Android power user right away as this device has brought this opportunity for you. Methods to root the Galaxy S6 Edge+ and install a CWM recovery are already available. In the succeeding post we will be showing you how you can install Philz Advanced CWM on your S6 Edge+ G928S, G928K and G928L. Once we have install CWM recovery, we will root the S6 Edge+ by flashing a custom kernel and SuperSu.
Before we head towards the method, let’s have a recap on the Galaxy S6 Edge+. The spec sheet of this device includes a 5.7-inch QHD display having a 5 MP shooter on the top-right corner. A 16 MP shooter is fixed at the back. We have Samsung’s Exynos 7420 SoC powering up this device. Samsung used a whopping 4 GB RAM in the S6 Edge+. Internal storage begins at 32 GB, there’s no external SD card slot on this device. S6 Edge+ can be found running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop out of the box.
Users who are not familiar with root and custom recovery so far, they may want to know that rooting an Android smartphone gives you the complete control of your phone’s core. You can bring in the root-specific applications to boost up the battery life, performance of your phone and also bring in new features. Using a custom recovery like Philz Advanced CWM, original CWM or TWRP allows you to create and restore Nandroid Backup, wipe dalvik cache and a lot more that you may come across once you’ve install a recovery. Let’s go ahead now and do the process to get both these things on our beloved Galaxy S6 Edge+.
- This guide is only for Galaxy S6 Edge+ G928S, G928K & G928L. Do not try this on any other device.
- Charge your device up to 50%.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your PC and your phone.
- Backup your important data as a safety measure.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Flashing custom recovery and rooting the device void its warranty. In case of a mishap, TechBeasts or Samsung may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk and with your full understanding.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers.
- Download and extract Odin 3.10.6.
- Download Philz Advanced CWM.tar file and save it your computer’s desktop.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your Galaxy S6 Edge+ G928S, G928K & G928L.
- Download Arter97 Kernel.zip file and copy it to your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus’s SD card as well.
Install Philz Advanced CWM & Root Galaxy S6 Edge+ G928S, G928K & G928L
- Open Odin3 V3.10.6.exe that you extracted on your PC.
- Enable OEM Unlock on your phone. To do so on your phone, go to settings > about device > tap the build number for 7 times to enable developer options. Get back to the settings and open developer options. Under developer options turn on “OEM unlock.“
- Put your S6 Edge+ in download mode now. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once your phone boots up, press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. The ID:COM box in the top-left corner of Odin3 should turn blue. This indicates that your phone is connected properly.
- Now click the “AP” tab in Odin and select the philz advacned cwm.tar file that you downloaded. It will take a second or two for Odin3 to load this file.
- Make sure that your Odin3 looks like this. The only option ticked should be F. Reset Time.
- Now you’re all set to flash the recovery. Just click the start button in Odin3 and sit back.
- Once the process box above ID:COM box shows green light and flashing process is finished, disconnect your device.
- Now turn off your device properly as we are going to boot into recovery mode.
- Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. This will boot your device in recovery mode. It should be CWM recovery that you just installed.
- Now in CWM recovery, select Install zip > Choose Zip from SD card > locate the Arter97 Kernel file and flash it.
- Once flashed, Once again in CWM recovery, select Install zip > Choose Zip from SD card > locate the SuperSu.zip file this time and flash it.
- Once done, reboot your device using recovery.
- As it boots up, checkout the SuperSu in application drawer. Also install BusyBox from Play Store.
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
- That’s all. You’re now set to unleash the open source nature of Android.
Stuck with anything? Reach us out through the comment box below!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017