Samsung rolled out the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update for the Galaxy S4 I9500 few days back. The update packed up some great changes and enhancements. A whole new UI is introduced, new notifications on the lock screen, performance enhancements, battery enhancements, bug fixes, Material Design inspired applications are all there. If you’ve already updated your device and you also happen to be an Android power user, you must be looking for a way to root your device now and unleash the its true power running on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. On the earlier versions of Android running on Samsung Galaxy devices, Chainfire’s popular CF-Autoroot has been working fine, but CF-Autoroot isn’t working with new Lollipop updates, so you will have to use a different method to root your Galaxy S4 I9500 running this Android 5.0.1 Lollipop now.
Before you start looking here and there for a working method, we’ve already found it and we are going to root our beloved Galaxy S4 I9500 running on the latest and greatest version of Android, the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop in the on-going guide. Follow the instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap. Let’s go through the early preparations and begin with the process now.
1.This guide is intended for the Galaxy S4 users having the model number listed above only. In case you don’t have the device listed here, do not proceed. Using the files and method listed here will result in bricking it. You can check your device’s model number in Settings > General > About device.
2. Your phone’s battery must be charged at least over 60%. In case your phone goes dead during the flashing process, it might result in bricking it. Charge your device before you proceed.
3. Always use OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and your computer. Using third party data cables might cause connection issues.
4.While using Odin3, turn off Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall and any Antivirus software if you’re using.
5. It is always recommended to backup your important data before you flash anything on your device. You may backup using the following guides on our site.
6. Follow the guidelines carefully. In case of a mishap, we may not be held responsible.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Files you need to download and install
- Download & install Samsung USB drivers.
- Download & extract Odin3 v3.09
- Download philz advanced cwm recovery.tar.md5 file: Link 1 | Link 2
How to Install CWM on your Galaxy S4 I9500 Running Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
- Download the file for your variant carefully.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Tab 3 8.0 in download mode, to do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key, you should see a warning now, press Volume Up to continue.
- In case the download mode method doesn’t work for your device, try one of the methods from this guide.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue now, that means your phone is connected properly in download mode.
- Click on the “AP” tab in Odin 3.09 and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file.
- In case you’re using Odin 3.07, click on the PDA tab in Odin and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file and let it load.
- Make sure that all options in Odin are un-ticked except “F.Reset Time” and “Auto-Reboot”. Match your Odin screen with the picture below.
- Hit start now and sit back, it will take a few seconds to flash the recovery, once finished, disconnect your device from your PC.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key to access the Philz Advanced CWM that you just installed.
- You can backup your current ROM and do a lot of other things using the options in CWM Recovery.
- Make sure that you make Nandroid and EFS backup and save it on your PC as well. Find the option in CWM Recovery.
- That’s All.
How To Root Your Galaxy S4 I9500 Running Android 5.0 Lollipop Now
- If you want to root your device now, you can download the SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded file on your phone’s sd card.
- Open CWM and select Install > Select / Choose Zip > SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Congrats! You’re now rooted as well.
That’s All! We hope that you found this guide of much help. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this guide, don’t hesitate to stop by the comment box below and leave us your message. We will try our best to help you out.
Recovery Credits: Philz3759 [We recommend a donation to the developer for his hard work. Thank you all]
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Magisk Systemless Interface on Android - April 22, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S8 Not registered on network - April 22, 2017
- How to fix LG G4 that keeps restarting itself - April 22, 2017