AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow is now available for Google Nexus 4. If you’ve already updated your Nexus 4 to this AOSP based Marhsmallow, you must have lost the root access. In order to root Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Nexus 4, you need to flash a modified boot image and flash SuperSu.zip afterwards. If you’re looking for a comprehensive guide, you may have spotted the right place. In the proceeding guide we will be flashing the modified boot image on our beloved Google Nexus 4 running AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow and we will flash SuperSu.zip file in the end.
- This guide is intended for LG Nexus 4 D820 or D821. Do not try this on any other device. Before going ahead, check your device’s model number in settings > about device.
- Your device must be running on AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Follow our guide to Install AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow On Nexus 4
- Backup all of your important data including contacts, sms messages, call logs and media content.
- Charge your phone up to 80% before proceeding.
- Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 4 and create a Nandroid backup using the Backup feature in TWRP. You may backup all partitions as well including EFS, Modem etc. Copy this backup to your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Rooting and flashing custom ROMs voids the warranty of the device. In case of any mishap, TechBeasts or the Device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re going to do everything at your own risk.
Copy both the downloaded files to your Nexus 4 now.
How To Root Google Nexus 4 Running AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Make sure that you’ve backed up each and everything and have also copied the downloaded files.
- Now boot your phone into TWRP recovery. To do so,power off your Nexus 4 completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Keys. You will boot into TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery tap Install > look for Image files at the bottom-right and tap it. You will find image files that are in your phone. Spot the copied Fixed_Data_root.img file and tap it, swipe the finger from left to right on the bottom of screen to flash this file.
- Once flashed, get back to the main menu and tap Install once again. Scroll all the way to the bottom and find SuperSu.zip file. Tap the file and flash it as well.
- Once flashed, reboot your phone.
- As soon as you get in to the system, checkout SuperSu in app drawer. Also verify root access using Root Checker in Play Store.
- That’s all.
Stuck with something? Feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016
- Download and install official Pixel Launcher on Android [APK] - October 19, 2016