Previously we posted the rooting method of Galaxy S5 SM-G900K on Android 5.0 Lollipop. The same method can be applied on the other Galaxy S5 variants being updated to Lollipop Firmware. Where Android users are eagerly waiting for the Lollipop Firmware, these devices are getting the rooting method on this firmware. While the expectations were with LG and Motorola devices, Samsung has stunned the world with the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop for its first flagship of this year, Galaxy S5. Where all the other variants has already received the root access, the Galaxy S5 SM-G900S was left behind and today we are here to bring this device up to the date.
We all know that getting the Google’s latest OS on your device is the first priority, but always keep in mind that if you are a user of a Rooted device, then you must wait for the Rooting method to be available in the market, before updating your device to the latest version. While on the other hand, you’ll also need the Custom Recovery to back-up all your data and other stuff and flashing the Official ROM also takes that away too. Usually it takes several weeks to bring such stuff for a device, but in this case everything is almost already here. In this Article, We will show you How to Install CWM Recovery and Root Galaxy S5 SM-G900S on Android 5.0 Lollipop, without further ado, let us continue.
1. This guide is only for Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900S!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM data-cable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firmware. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
6. Update your Device to Android 5.0 Lollipop!
Since this rooting method is only support the Android 5.0 Lollipop, there is now way will it work on any other build, so update your device to Android 5.0 Lollipop first, Follow the link to do so : Link
How to Install CWM Recovery:
- Download the Recovery file to your PC.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S5 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the Recovery.tar.md5 that you downloaded and extracted above.
- Hit start and wait till the Recovery flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- Wait for your device to reboot.
- That’s all!
How to Root the Device:
- Download both the Super Su and SphinX-Root to your device.
- Put your Galaxy S5 into Recovery mode.
- To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, Quickly release the Power button when you see the Galaxy Logo Blink 3 times.
- Navigate to Install Zip > Choose Zip.
- Flash the SphinX-Root file first.
- Then flash the Super SU.zip
- Once done, Reboot the device.
- Use any root checker app to Verify the root access.
What to do if Rooting failed:
- If the Process failed, or you can’t able to root your device, then proceed.
- Flash the Stock Kernel using Recovery mode
- Then once again, reboot the device.
- Verify the Root permission, if you are lucky then your device will be rooted, otherwise keep trying.
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016