Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge were updated to Android 7.0 Nougat recently. New firmware brought a lot of changes. Samsung has managed to upgrade the phones from top to bottom. At first, the new firmware brings a new and updated UI. You will find new icons and new background in the toggles menu. The settings application has been revamped. The caller ID UI has been built from scratch. Samsung has upgraded the edge panel. There are performance and battery life enhancements. Overall, the Android 7.0 Nougat just boosts up the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. The new firmwares have started hitting through OTA and also surfaced over the internet. You can update your phone by flashing the firmware manually or by checking the OTA updated feature in your phone.
Once you update your phone from Marshmallow, and if you happened to have Root and TWRP recovery on previous build, you are going to loose it right after your phone comes on the new firmware. For Android power users, TWRP recovery and root access are the very important elements of an Android device. If you are an Android geek like me, the very first thing that you would want to do on your phone after updating it to Nougat will be to root it and install TWRP recovery.
I just updated my phone and tried flashing TWRP recovery. After installing recovery, I tried rooting it and the method worked flawlessly. The method to root and flash custom recovery on Android Nougat powered S7 or S7 Edge is still the same as Android Marshmallow. We will have a look on how we can do it and get done with the entire process in a few minutes.
- Charge your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge up to 50% to avoid power issues during the flashing process. Check your device’s model number carefully under settings > more / general > about device.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB debugging mode on your phone.
- Get a microSD card as you will need to copy SuperSU.zip file to that, otherwise you will have to use the MTP mode while you boot up into TWRP recovery to flash copy it.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and also copy your media content to your computer as you will have to wipe your phone on the way.
- Uninstall/disable Samsung Kies while using Odin. Samsung Kies can hinder the connection between your phone and Odin.
- Use OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and your phone.
- Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap during flashing process.
Note: These are highly custom processes and involve a risk of bricking your device. In case of a mishap, we or the recovery/root developers may not be held responsible.
Downloads and installations
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your PC: Download Link with Guide
- Download and extract Odin 3.12.3 on your PC: Download Link with Guide
- Download the TWRP Recovery.tar file carefully according to your device.
- Download SuperSU.zip file and copy it to your phone’s external SD card. If you haven’t got an external SD card, you will need to copy it to internal storage after installing TWRP recovery.
- Download dm-verity.zip file and copy it to the external SD card as well. Alternatively, you can also copy both these.zip files to a USB OTG if you have got one.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery and Root Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge now
- Open Odin3.exe file from the extracted Odin files that you downloaded above.
- Put your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge in download mode now. To do so, turn off your phone first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power + Home button. As soon as your device boots up showing a Downloading screen, leave the keys.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. Odin should show an “Added” message in the logs and also show the blue light in the ID:COM box. This will verify a successful connection between your phone and your PC.
- Now click on the “AP” tab in Odin and select the TWRP Recovery.img.tar file according to your device carefully.
- The options ticked in Odin should be only “F.Reset Time“. Make sure that the Auto-Reboot option is not checked, we do not want to reboot the phone after flashing TWRP recovery.
- After selecting the file and checking/unchecking the options carefully, hit the start button. Odin will now flash the TWRP and show you a PASS message in a few minutes.
- Once done, disconnect your device from your PC now.
- Now you need to boot directly into TWRP Recovery. Turn off your phone completely and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power key now. Your phone should successfully boot into newly installed custom recovery.
- TWRP will ask you whether you want to allow modifications or not, you will need to swipe finger to the right to enable modifications. Swiping the finger to right will trigger dm-verity, if you will need to disable it immediately. Leaving it enabled will not let you boot the phone neither root it. This is an important stuff since we want to be able to modify the system.
- Now tap “Wipe > Format Data > type “yes” to format data. This is important to disable encryption. This step will factory reset your phone, so make sure that you’ve backed up the entire data at hand.
- Now go back to the main menu in TWRP Recovery and tap “Reboot > Recovery”. This will once again reboot your phone in TWRP.
- Now make sure that you’ve copied the SuperSU.zip and dm-verity.zip files in external SD Card or USB OTG, if not then transfer both these files to your external SD Card by using MTP mode in TWRP now. Once you’ve the files, tap “Install > locate the SuperSU.zip according to the location where you copied > flash it”.
- Now once again tap “Install > locate the dm-verity.zip file > flash it”.
- Once done flashing, reboot your phone to system.
- That’s all. You’re rooted and have a TWRP recovery installed. Best of luck.
That was it guys. Don’t forget to backup your EFS partition now and also create a Nandroid backup. Its’ time to unleash the true power of your Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. I hope that this guide proved to be fruitful for all of you. Let us know if you are stuck with something or something isn’t working right for you.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017